Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mechanics tell me that they have to disassemble the entire transmission to replace the speed sensor in my 2005 Forester (the speedometer and odometer stopped working). The plastic cog at the end of the spindle is apparently shot. They said on VWs the spindle with cog can be simply pulled out through the hole, but on my Subaru the hole is only big enough for the spindle, thus, the need to disassemble the entire transmission.

2 liter engine manual transmission.

Can anyone confirm that this is necessary or dispute what my mechanics are telling me? Seems odd that Subaru would make it so difficult to replace a part that can easily wear out.

Many thanks!

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,071 Posts
I am going to assume this is for the same '05 Forester with a manual. you posted about in the other thread.

... on my 2005 Forester (2 liter engine, manual transmission).
On the automatic, the transmission does need to come out to do both the front and rear vehicle speed sensors.

The manual transmission, it does not appear that it needs to come out to replace the vehicle speed sensor.

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,413 Posts
Exactly. It just screws into the transmission. Should come right out.

·
Registered
2005 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is for the same car, yes. The part I am talking about is not the sensor shown in the diagram posted, but a pinion gear on a shaft that goes down into the transmission (the box for this part said 'speed sensor' on it, which is why I called it that). The gear itself is plastic but the diameter is apparently too large for the hole that fits the pinion shaft.

·
Registered
01 Forester
2 Posts
How do you connect the manual speed sensor cable to the loom of an auto Forester, that has been converted from Auto to Manual?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am going to assume this is for the same '05 Forester with a manual. you posted about in the other thread.

On the automatic, the transmission does need to come out to do both the front and rear vehicle speed sensors.

The manual transmission, it does not appear that it needs to come out to replace the vehicle speed sensor.
so even the po502 code is showing up and i need to change the speed sensor harness. here is the part number.
Part Number: SU7662
i feel like i can see the harness though and the points of contact where it plugs in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts