Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
I have a 2005 FXT with about 85K miles. No mods. Driven about 2K miles per year since my wife retired 5 years ago.
Still has the original turbo and catted up pipe.
I stumbled across the fact that it's catted and a lot of people change it for an un-catted one.
I'm trying to determine if it's worth it this late in the game. I don't plan on getting rid of the car. It's just getting broken in.
I guess my biggest concern would be rusted bolts.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
4EAT [email protected]$&*VF39 Level 10: 4eat 4.44 SLUSHBOX
801 Posts
Location please. Are you in the rust belt? If not I would worry more about the uppipe cat media breaking down and machine gunning your turbo blades. I have that replacement {Grimmspeed} uppipe if youre looking.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I'm going to replace it.

04eatmefxt Do you like the Grimmspeed? I was looking at that and an OEM from a STI on eBay.
It's getting harder to put too much money in a 17 year old car but it's in good shape with 85K miles.

·
Registered
801 Posts
You don't want the big 2" up pipe! You want to stay about the same size as the STI pipe, 1 3/4 That's why i went with the Grimmspeed. Good quality, its yours if you want it. $120 shipped including one of the old gaskets.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Auto
483 Posts
The ONLY benefit of an aftermarket uppipe vs an OEM catless is looks, unless you need it to fit aftermarket headers (for example Tomei uses a 3 bolt flange). Get whatever catless pipe you can find, or knock the cat out of your stock pipe if it's got a cat in it.

·
Registered
801 Posts
The ONLY benefit of an aftermarket uppipe vs an OEM catless is looks, unless you need it to fit aftermarket headers (for example Tomei uses a 3 bolt flange). Get whatever catless pipe you can find, or knock the cat out of your stock pipe if it's got a cat in it.
The only reason i offered mine is cuz it's cheaper than anything currently listed on Ebay. if you're gonna knock the cat out of your old one, make sure you get it all.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies and info.
I wound up finding an OEM catless on eBay in great shape from CA so very little rust, no broken studs and no loose shields. I offered $90 free shipping and I received it yesterday.
I also have the 2.2K ohm resistor.
Rock Auto has FEL-PRO gaskets for a decent price. Will they work ok or should I go with OEM?
Thanks!
Automotive exhaust Auto part Wood Gas Pipe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts