Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SG Forester 2.5X (EJ251)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to replace the timing belt on my EJ251 engine as I just recently acquired the vehicle and it is currently at 114,000kms with the service log book not stating what exactly has been done at each interval, so I am thinking it is better to assume it has yet to have its timing belt replaced and sort it out now.

From what I have read it seems that I should definitely be replacing the water pump, idlers etc. all at once rather than just the belt, with Aisin being my current target for a kit, but I am struggling to find which Aisin kit will be suitable for my car. Based on what I see from this thread, there are different kits for auto and manual transmissions (my transmission being auto), but the outcome from that thread was that the person purchased some other parts on eBay rather than Aisin parts. I also see that there are different thermostat locations in the water pump based on engine, but I believe that I am correct in thinking that my EJ251 will have the thermostat facing downwards rather than forward.

I am trying to figure out if I should be purchasing the Aisin TKF-001 or the TKF-004. If anyone would be able to steer me in the right direction, I would be very grateful!

·
Administrator
15,119 Posts
G'day & Welcome aboard @BrogdonXXX

If the service log book has been filled in for the 100K klm service why not call the service provider and ask them as you may be wasting money by replacing a kit that has already been done. Or if it was a Subaru workshop then Subaru Australia would have a record.

As to the kits I can only advise that my workshop recommended and used the Gates kit which included water pump, idlers etc for my recent 200K klm service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome!

I was considering contacting the workshop that had previously been used for servicing, but I wasn't sure if workshops would keep a log of what they had done on each car like that. Is this more likely to be an option?

I found plenty of Gates kits for good prices online, but from research online they seem to have dropped severely in quality in recent years, so I am looking to avoid Gates. Everything I have found about the Aisin kits seems to say that they are a really good option beneath genuine Subaru parts, but I contacted my local dealer and found the parts needed for the job were ~$900.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
827 Posts
OEM Timing belt kit all day.
Aisin water pump. OEM thermostat. You can’t go wrong with this combination.

·
Administrator
15,119 Posts
When my son & fiancé considered purchasing a 2012 S Foz from a 2nd hand car dealership we noticed a service sticker so contacted and visited the workshop and they were very willing to advise re the cars condition - so it was purchased ;-)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)
I got onto the workshop that serviced the vehicle up to 87,000kms and they said it hadn't been replaced, but I was unsuccessful in contacting the workshop that did the 100,000km service. Thinking I should probably just get it done to be safe.

I have contacted Aisin support to see if they can hopefully tell me which kit will suit my car. Going by this found in a Q&A section on Amazon, I assume that the TKF-001 is for Manual Transmission going by the (M/T Only) next to 02 - 05 Forester.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
I was looking at that earlier and wondering if any of those listed might be a good alternative to the Aisin kit. There are plenty for auto transmission listed, but I am weary of them after seeing Gates everywhere but then finding out that they aren't too great anymore.

·
Registered
2003 Forester
36 Posts
Continental and Dayco would be fine replacements as well from Rockauto.

Can anyone explain the difference between the Auto and Manual timing belt kits? From photos they have the exact same components and I've done about 10 EJ25 timing belts on both Auto's and manuals and never noticed a difference on the front of the engine.

·
Administrator
15,119 Posts
Can anyone explain the difference between the Auto and Manual timing belt kits?
Well, the auto version installs itself but you have to install the manual version :p (no idea really)

There is a difference in the SG workshop manual which may give a clue:

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,665 Posts
The manual has a different water pump to the automatic

Auto water pump has 1 extra outlet.

Same timing belts etc.

Mitsuboshi make arguably the best timing belts and make them for Toyota amongst many others and that is what is included in the Aisin Timing Belt Kits

Auto Trans Water Pump:

Manual Trans Water Pump:

·
Registered
2003 Forester
36 Posts
Oh snap! I don't recognize that extra port at all. The side one is for the heater core line correct? What's the front one for? And now that I think about it I'm almost positive all my thermostat housings have been bolted on from the front not the bottom.

Like this.

Is it the earlier years (Phase 1?) that have the inlet on the bottom?

I'd go check my 04 but it doesn't have a 4 cylinder anymore.

EDIT: I went back and reread the first post. I am pretty ignorant on the different versions of the EJ25 but I'm almost positive my 04 had the housing on the front like my first picture when I did the head gaskets on it. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,665 Posts
@BeatupVR4 I don't have a non turbo, which looks to be what is in your photo, but I can take a photo of my MY05 EJ255 Turbo engine if it helps? It's currently on a stand so happy to fulfil any photo requests.

·
Administrator
15,119 Posts
Apart from the radiator my SG NA auto water pump has just the heater outlet; I thought the extra outlet was for a turbo not an SG NA?

·
Administrator
15,119 Posts
SG NA from the 2003 workshop manual and verified from the actual pump taken off my Foz which is still sitting in a box near my front door. It may have changed in later years of course.

Turbo pump

·
Registered
2005 Forester EJ251
104 Posts
Brog. Note there was a change in engine bits in 6/2005. The engine became drive-by-wire. My 12/2004 auto has the downward facing thermostat. I think the extra outlet shown is for the engine oil heater/cooler which we didn't get in Oz. Genuine parts are just below $500 depending on what you buy. I ended up spending $1500 to replace timing belt, ancilliary belts, head gaskets, engine bolts, cooling hoses etc. This cost about three three to five times more than my other cars (surpisingly, when I fixed my mitsubishi V6 I found genuine was cheaper than aftermarket and better quality). I live in sydney and purchased the parts from a Subaru dealer in perth that advertises on ebay. They were really helpful. I wrote off an aftermarket kit because the water pump was poor and some of the pulley bearings were Chinese plus one of the bearings was single row when Subaru used double row. Also, subaru belt has the timing marks painted on it which makes it easier to get it right. In addition, I wrote off a set of aftermarket engine bolts becaue they were not made properly. Look very carefully at aftermarket parts before you fit them.

·
Registered
2006 Forester 5-speed manual
302 Posts
Mine is 11/05 and it's forward facing...

My feeling is that if you're changing the belt yourself then you can run the risk of not replacing anything but the belts and idlers.

If you look at the pics I posted last week about changing mine you'll see that I also saved myself a lot of grief by installing a stud to mount one of those idlers, so when you put that one on last it goes on much more readily than trying to find the hole for the bolt and not being able to see it.

Maybe every second change do the water pump etc...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts