Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Error codes P1410 P2441

Quite a few people had posted on my threads about Sec Air that the easy solution was to disable the errror codes but I couldn't find anyone who had done this without using a tuner. Well here is a brief writeup of how i did it.

First a warning, if this goes wrong you have to transport your Forester to a dealer and have a new ecu fitted.

Buy a £10 VAG cable of Ebay

Download RomRaider and ECUFlash

Spend a month getting the lead to work with the RomRaider drivers and then getting the ecu to connect with the programs.

Spend another month working out how RomRaider and EcuFlash work.

Get up enough courage to pull the ecu rom, disable all the Sec Air error codes and then flash it back in.

Definitely ain't easy and not for the faint hearted or computer illiterates, but it worked :woohoo:

Max.

Update.

It appears the ecu on non-turbo cars with the air system can't be accessed to delete the codes. See Post 93.

Update,

2007 models are CAN-bus and the ecu can only be read with a genuine Tractrix cable. See Post 102

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Basically as my first post, here is stage one.

Download and install this version of Java Old Version of Java Runtime Environment 1.5.0.16 Download - OldApps.com

Download and install Rom Raider and Ecuflash

Don't load the driver disc which came with the cable. Plug in the cable to your laptop and it should find the two sets of drivers automatically, otherwise point it to C/programs files/openecu/ecuflash/drivers.

Read all the RR Documenation, download ecu definitions etc, plug the cable into the obd port and then the laptop and see what happens.

Read all the entries on the RR forum for "won't connect". Eventually you'll get there.

If you get stuck repost here.

Max

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brain fade again, the drivers for the VAG cable are in C/programs files/openecu/ecuflash/drivers, not in RomRaider.

Apologies if I have lead you astray.

Max.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Just FYI, if you're going to be flashing, the tactrix cable is probably the more reliable solution than the vagcom cable (as its designed specifically for flashing subarus), however it is quite a bit more money. I've seen a few people unable to flash (especially on the 06+ canbus cars) with the cheaper cables.

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just FYI, if you're going to be flashing, the tactrix cable is probably the more reliable solution than the vagcom cable (as its designed specifically for flashing subarus), however it is quite a bit more money. I've seen a few people unable to flash (especially on the 06+ canbus cars) with the cheaper cables.
Tractrix cable is $169+carriage+vat+import tax to the UK, so the £10 VAG cable is definitely worth a try to start with. According to the EcuFlash forum if the cable reads the ecu and does a "test write" it is ok for flashing.

I think the Secondary Air problem only affects 06/08 SG models so Canbus isn't an issue.

Max.

·
Registered
06 Forest XT Ltd
149 Posts
Secondary Air Pump

Excuse me if this is a silly question, but wouldn't a reflash only be a temporary solution as the computer would read the problem pretty quickly again?......or are you telling the computer to stop reading that system altogether?

·
Registered
2011 Volvo XC60 Auto
554 Posts
Yep, you can reset the error, but chances are it will come back....mine did twice before the valves were replaced

Interesting info on the plastic coated valves, does that mean that history will not repeat itself

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Excuse me if this is a silly question, but wouldn't a reflash only be a temporary solution as the computer would read the problem pretty quickly again?......or are you telling the computer to stop reading that system altogether?

If you reflash the ecu this permantently stops the errors being read even if the fault is still present.

A code reader will cancel the error codes till the next time the fault occurs.

Max

·
Registered
06 Forest XT Ltd
149 Posts
If you reflash the ecu this permantently stops the errors being read even if the fault is still present.

A code reader will cancel the error codes till the next time the fault occurs.

Max
Oh....so I see the advantage now to having a tune done if this happens.....save you @ $1500 and give you a little boost at the same time...nice!

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X Lim. Automatic
130 Posts
If you have an Accessport you can do the same thing (turn off the CEL for certain codes, and the computer will stop reporting the error). My car has passed an OBDII type emissions inspection for the past 3 years like this. You need to download the free Accesstuner Race software in order to do it.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,700 Posts
If you have an Accessport you can do the same thing (turn off the CEL for certain codes, and the computer will stop reporting the error). My car has passed an OBDII type emissions inspection for the past 3 years like this. You need to download the free Accesstuner Race software in order to do it.
All very interesting, but as you are posting in the "Europe" section and Accessport doesn't apply to EDM vehicles.............................:confused:

·
Registered
2005 2.5 XTE
59 Posts
Right..... I've got the log from the car on the computer within ecuflash and saved it. I've opened the log on RR software and turned off the troublesome codes but having trouble saving the log to a hex file so that ecuflash can see it and I can flash the ECU.

Surprised I've got this far!

Any pointers?

Cheers

·
Registered
2005 2.5 XTE
59 Posts
S'alright! sorted it.

Didn't really need RomRaider and did the editing on ECUFash. great result all for less than a tenner. Which is a good job as the foz has just been through an MOT(sailed through) and the tester has said it will fail next year for ECU management light :crazy:

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Right..... I've got the log from the car on the computer within ecuflash and saved it. I've opened the log on RR software and turned off the troublesome codes but having trouble saving the log to a hex file so that ecuflash can see it and I can flash the ECU.

Surprised I've got this far!

Any pointers?

Cheers
Well done glad you got it sorted. Was the problem with saving the file the "user level" setting?

Don't forget to pull the fuses for the valves and air pump.

Max.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts