Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am making this thread, because; while the information is out there on other threads, hopefully what I've done can help others. I'm also hoping that someone can answer some questions that I have.

Two weeks ago I replaced the front struts, I used KYB Excel-G struts, new KYB dust boots and bump stops, and KYB strut mounts. I reused the old springs which weren't that worn out. The main reason that I did this was that the old strut mounts were cracking and getting very dodgy. The lessons I learned from doing this were as follows:
The Spring compressors you rent from autozone will not work on the front. The OEM springs are very long and need to be compressed an insane amount. This combined with the wideness of the top-hat/spring perch (I think that's what its called) meant that I had to fork over $60 and have the new ones assembled at my local Tuffy. The ride quality has improved dramatically and the new struts are definitely stiffer than the old ones.

Now for the rear. I haven't started this yet because the rear KYB strut mounts that I ordered have been on backorder for a month and will be for another month. Tomorrow I plan to check and see if I can reuse the old strut mounts for my new KYB Excel-G struts and reuse the old springs which I was planning on anyway.

The question I have, is for people who have replaced the rear struts themselves: How hard is it? Will I be able to compress the springs with the dinky things you get at Autozone or will I have to have it done by someone else. And do I actually have to disconnect the breaks and rebleed them as someone I saw on here suggested? Is it advisable to just wait and use new strut mounts anyway?
Thanks for any help.

I also plan on adding a 1 inch spacer lift from Anderson design and Fabrication once I do that back. I would like to add the lift at the same time as the rear struts so that I only have to pay for one more alignment.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I did the 4 myself on my 2001. I don't remember the exact difference between the rear and front. But I do remember one pair was easier than the other. But overall did not find the process difficult. This was my first time ever doing struts

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
466 Posts
I also plan on adding a 1 inch spacer lift from Anderson design and Fabrication once I do that back. I would like to add the lift at the same time as the rear struts so that I only have to pay for one more alignment.
Are you aware that changing struts on the rear do not affect rear alignment? Camber is not adjustable only toe. And the struts do not affect the toe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you aware that changing struts on the rear do not affect rear alignment? Camber is not adjustable only toe. And the struts do not affect the toe.

I was not aware that changing the rear struts wouldn't affect the rear alignment. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I had assumed that because the Forester was AWD with independent suspension it needed alignment for the back if the struts were changed as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts