Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
05 FXT IAG Stage 2 Tuff
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon, a quick Summary of the car.
I own a 2005 FXT, when I purchased it the previous owner did some dirty things and pretty much screwed with the motor knowing nothing about Subaru's. The motor decided to not want its crankshaft connected anymore which resulted in complete destruction of the block. This will all be summarized in a later post, containing the adventure this car has given me.

As it stands, I recently put in a new IAG Stage two Tuff block. and its only got about 70 miles on the motor as of now trying to break in and deal with several other issues that have arisen. Among those issues are a set of codes. which when the car ran previous had none. It was in complete functioning order until the motor went. The codes I would like help with are the Transmission codes. Once the motor was installed with other modifications, (listed below) these codes appeared. P1709 (Park/Neutral Position Switch Out Of Self-Test Range), P1714 (Shift Solenoid 'A' Fault), P1718 (Automatic Transmission CAN Communication Circuit). The other codes which are listed for full disclosure and possible insight (but also given) P0447, (Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Open) which is a broken wire at charcoal canister, and a P0111 (Intake Camshaft Position Timing Over-Advanced Or System Performance Bank 1) which is being dealt with. That's another issue for another time.

I have not done anything to the transmission. I sat for about a year in the yard under a cover while I accumulated parts and did some detail work and things.

What has been changed from previous that deal with the electrics of the car are:
The addition of ProSport Evo Gauges
Innovative Motorsports Gauges
HKS Turbo Timer
Heated Seat Delete

Other modifications:
Mishimoto Rad and Trans Cooler
IAG Stage 2 Tuff Block
ID 1050X Injectors
IAG Air/Oil Separator
Killer B Oil Pan, Pickup tube, Baffle tray

Several other things were done to the car previous which I have no need to mention due to the codes being thrown after these items were installed.

The Issue
To dive into the Transmission issues, The screen on the dash that shows gear selection, will not show 2nd or 1st when selected and sometimes not Neutral. When driving it will shift down to 3rd and 2nd, but sometimes when from 3rd to 2nd it does not recognize the selection and transmission does not shift.
(I know it is not normal for you to downshift an automatic like this, It is recommended to downshift to create good Vacuum to break in new motor. IAG approved)
The Engine runs fine, no issues. The transmission has no issues minus previously described.
My reverse lights do not work, which I think is a result of the P1709 CEL.

I have been pulling out what little hair I have left trying to figure these issues out. I have yet to find a specific post about these issues all together. I am not sure where to start. I did start to check grounds, which i have not found any issues. Please help!

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester
2,315 Posts
Sounds like the linkage between the shifter and and transmission care not lined up properly.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
05 FXT IAG Stage 2 Tuff
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the linkage between the shifter and and transmission care not lined up properly.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Not sure how that would of happened. But, ill take a look. I did replace the Parking release button, but I never unbolted the shifter. PRDNL switch might be going bad... but it worked before the motor swap. So why now?

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester
2,315 Posts
Did you to any fluid drain and refill? did you mess with the external AT Filter?

·
Registered
05 FXT IAG Stage 2 Tuff
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you to any fluid drain and refill? did you mess with the external AT Filter?
Nope, Did nothing to the transmission, The only thing that involved ATF fluid was the new Mishimoto Trans Cooler. Which just replaces the old cooler on the old rad of course... No ATF temp warnings. I might change the ATF and filter since the dealership previous has F###### up so many things on this car. But I wouldnt be sure it would fix these codes

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester
2,315 Posts
For the most part the external filter does very little. In fact Subaru removed it on some of the newer 4EAT. If you do replace the filter, buy OEM filer from Subaru. It is not the same as "oil filter" for engine. Many here have bought 3rd party filter and caused more transmission issues. Since it was working before, I would not mess around with the fluid for now, as long as it is not burnt, ie brown in color. If it is pink/cherry red, I would leave it alone. No sense introducing another variable in your troubleshooting.

·
Registered
05 FXT IAG Stage 2 Tuff
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the most part the external filter does very little. In fact Subaru removed it on some of the newer 4EAT. If you do replace the filter, buy OEM filer from Subaru. It is not the same as "oil filter" for engine. Many here have bought 3rd party filter and caused more transmission issues. Since it was working before, I would not mess around with the fluid for now, as long as it is not burnt, ie brown in color. If it is pink/cherry red, I would leave it alone. No sense introducing another variable in your troubleshooting.
Oh, its not as cherry red as it used be. But yes, i agree. I dont plan on making this venture any harder on myself. Id like to figure this out first. It has been frustrating. Been waiting over a year to finally drive my baby and i cant even break it in properly until these issues are fixed.

Besides the ATF and issues that result in not handling it properly, would you know of anything as to where i could be getting the 1709 and 1714 from? you hinted at the linkage which i will check after work tomorrow. I am pretty sure its not that, but I would rather double check to be safe. I have a fear a small rodent may have done something while it was sitting. I have checked all outside wiring, i havent seen anything to signal a short or lack of communication.

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
664 Posts
Are engine and gearbox mounts in good condition, and/or seated and torqued correctly?

Were there any alignment issues fitting the engine with the new block, back into the car. Did mounting point match exactly?

Was the pitch stop bracket reinstalled? Did it fit exactly, or were there alignment issues?

Check harness between Body Integrated Module and TCM.

Check P range switch, voltage supply, resistance values, and earth point.

·
Registered
05 FXT IAG Stage 2 Tuff
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are engine and gearbox mounts in good condition, and/or seated and torqued correctly?

Were there any alignment issues fitting the engine with the new block, back into the car. Did mounting point match exactly?

Was the pitch stop bracket reinstalled? Did it fit exactly, or were there alignment issues?
We had a bit of issues just wiggling the block down in. Nothing major, Torque converter bolts all lined up and went in with no trouble. Everything went well, or so we thought...

Check harness between Body Integrated Module and TCM.

Check P range switch, voltage supply, resistance values, and earth point.
This is something I have yet to do. I did check if things are bolted down correctly.

Today I tested the gear lever, I also checked on the Bypass switch, which I replaced. While I did this I shifted it down through the gears and only 1st gear would not show up on the dash. Every other selection did. I am still puzzled

·
Registered
05 FXT IAG Stage 2 Tuff
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I was away for work and the holidays screwed with me a bit.
I finally got to sit down and read some more. The P0011 code is gone by the way. replaced an intake CAM, it was gooed up.
The P0700 is the gen code,
P1709 is Throttle Position Sensor Circuit High Input, which means Accelerator pedal position sensor malfunction, open input signal circuit...
Next,
P1714 is Throttle Position Sensor Power Supply Circuit which means Accelerator pedal position sensor malfunction, open or short input signal circuit.
Next,
P1718 is CAN Communication Circuit which means Open or short AT communication signal circuit

So out of those 3(three) codes, 2 of them are pretty much a repeat. I could have two issues, or one which is triggering a systemic failure. Nothing was fidddled with when it came to the pedal but i will check resistance tomorrow and the CAN circuit. Possibly a wire may have been cut or nicked, I am not sure if the twisted pair for the TCM is shielded or not.
This is the update.

·
Registered
05 FXT IAG Stage 2 Tuff
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update, I checked Resistance on the TCM and ECU, Found issue on the accelerator pedal sensor. Replaced it. Issue still not resolved. I found two wires on the Inhibiter switch harness that were severely damaged. I cut and soldered the wires for repair which actually added resistance to the circuit and threw another code. So i am purchasing the Inhibiter switch harness to swap out. I am starting to think the issues are from the Inhibiter Switch. So when the weather gets a little warmer i will craw under the car and check again.
I playing a game of cat and mouse now.

·
Registered
05 FXT IAG Stage 2 Tuff
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Issue
To dive into the Transmission issues, The screen on the dash that shows gear selection, will not show 2nd or 1st when selected and sometimes not Neutral. When driving it will shift down to 3rd and 2nd, but sometimes when from 3rd to 2nd it does not recognize the selection and transmission does not shift.
(I know it is not normal for you to downshift an automatic like this, It is recommended to downshift to create good Vacuum to break in new motor. IAG approved)
The Engine runs fine, no issues. The transmission has no issues minus previously described.
My reverse lights do not work, which I think is a result of the P1709 CEL.

I have been pulling out what little hair I have left trying to figure these issues out. I have yet to find a specific post about these issues all together. I am not sure where to start. I did start to check grounds, which i have not found any issues. Please help!
All issues described above have been fixed. I replaced the Inhibitor Harness which was knicked and damaged. This however did not solve the 3 Trans Codes....

I still have those three from above. Car runs and drives great. The only way i can tell I have an issues is by the CEL.
I give up. After days of testing and checking and checking again... I admit defeat.

I AM TAKING HER TO SUBARU!:(

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
664 Posts
Did you clear the memory after the repairs, to get rid of the CEL codes? Need diagnostic scanner to clear TCM.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts