Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

I have a new stock build 2.5 SOHC in a 2005 Forester. Everything went together within the specs of the service manual. There were no issues.

First fire up, the external mechanical oil pressure gauge showed 80 lbs of oil pressure. When warmed up after awhile it drops down to 12 lbs of oil pressure at idle and stabilizes. I am totally fine with this.

Next day, cold start, the oil light goes out within a second of starting. It has oil pressure.

Drive the car around running errands and shut it off. Run inside to do said errands, which means car sits for a different amount of time and engine heat will be varied.
After said errand is completed, upon starting the engine again, the oil light takes roughly 12 to 15 seconds to turn off, which seems too long for me, plus it didn’t stay on that long before I did the engine swap. I have never owned a car that took more than a second for the light to go off. This amount of time with the oil light on is concerning to me, especially with a new engine build.

I installed a new oil pressure sending unit last night and changed the oil filter tonight with a Napa Gold (Wix) with the anti-drain back valve thinking that might help but it does the same thing.

It’s a stock build, and the “O” ring is behind the oil pump and the oil pump screws were very tight.

Has anybody else run across this issue? Anything obvious I am missing?

·
Registered
2003 EJ20K Forester
313 Posts
Verify the switch is working as intended using your mechanical gauge. The cut-on for an OPS is usually in the order of 5 PSI, maybe if yours is higher for some reason.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts