Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Forester X
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far google has let me down. I’m new to engines and specifically Subaru’s.
So my 05 2.5L “X” is an N/A correct? Now that being said what are the computer components? Do I have the option to chip it? Would it do anything?Again I’m a total NOOB just plowing through forums to find any info I can. Thanks

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
36,346 Posts
@DUHBRUCE there was a time when NA... nonturbo ECM programing was considered by companies, like COBB, but it fizzled out.

There are piggyback smart tuners, but they're expensive, only tweak the spark timing & offer little performance gains.

Performance chips are viewed as "snake oil" & a waste of money.

Bottom line, there's not much untapped power to be found in the nonturbo engine.

Most forum members would recommend focusing on suspension & handling. If you're in to audio, there's a lot you can do to there. There's also appearance... tinting the glass & upgraded wheels!

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Forester X
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bobby, even though there may not be much power to be gained could it be possible that performance chips would aid in fuel economy, longevity and overall performance?
mans if course beautification is on the list:)
Thanks

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Manual
283 Posts
Not really.
But if you want performance and fuel economy consider getting lighter wheel, good tires, suspension mods, and maybe put the forester on a diet.

for longevity, be up to date with maintenance, religiously change the oil and keep up to date oil level, warm
Up the car before sending it.

for fuel consumption, that’s something your gonna have to discuss with your right foot.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
36,346 Posts
Thanks Bobby, even though there may not be much power to be gained could it be possible that performance chips would aid in fuel economy, longevity and overall performance?
mans if course beautification is on the list:)
Thanks
I have an XT so I stopped worrying my gas mileage when I had it tuned + I have a heavy right foot!

One easy thing to do is to set your tire air pressure as high as you can & still have a reasonable ride & handling. Soft tires = more fiction & reduced gas mileage.

On that same line, you really don't want to go wider than the stock tire, as that will = more tire to road contact = more fiction & reduced gas mileage.

If your glass isn't tinted, having that done will make a huge difference in the appearance of your Forester!

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2001 Forester
656 Posts
All the Subarus are heavy vehicles, that's the price you pay for the AWD extras. There is almost an extra 800lbs. There is very little in "tuning" that will help. To increase mpg, just train your right foot. There is no hp to be gained.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts