Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester xt LL bean / 1998 forester L
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a 2005 Forester LL Bean and trying to pass emissions I installed a new EGR valve and went on further to find that the EGR tube was blocked off and there is no port for the tube in the cylinder head does anyone have any idea how I can install an EGR tube in this

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,310 Posts
Not all years/engines came with EGR valves. So not sure why you are installing an EGR valve.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To pasa emisions here in AZ I bought the car 3 months ago and have been trying to get it through emissions I did go to sensors and I've done the knock sensor and I even put a new EGR valve on it and that's when I discovered that the tube going down to the cylinder head had been cut off folded and weld it shut the girl I bought it from said she had the motor rebuilt about 70,000 miles ago and I'm guessing that's when this head got put on it I don't know I know it just has one pork on the back side of the head up on the intake side it doesn't have the one that's a little lower that would be the exhaust port I'm thinking about going to a muffler shop and have him well to bung into the exhaust manifold and try and attach it there cuz as long as I have a c e i I can't get through emissions but thanks for replying that's cool

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,310 Posts
What kind of emmisions testing if any will they do? Sniffer or obdii, visual? In Texas they only do obdii, so if no CEL you pass.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What kind of emmisions testing if any will they do? Sniffer or obdii, visual? In Texas they only do obdii, so if no CEL you pass.
Yeah that's the problem they do the OBD2 and there and they also look for the check engine light which the EGR instantly kicks a hard code for check engine

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,310 Posts
The other choice would be to find someone to perform a "EGR Delete", to turn off the CEL.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,310 Posts
@AZstonedsubie I looked at your other post regarding the EGR and noticed the picture you posted of the Cylinder Heads. There is not a port at all for the EGR....So you are kind of screwed, even if you could weld a bung on to the exhaust manifold for the EGR, you have no way of installing the EGR onto your cylinder head. Sounds like the previous owner did a frankenstein on this engine. You best bet as I mentioned is to get an "EGR Delete" and not bother with repairing/installing the EGR. Not unless you are interested in finding new heads that support EGR.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No actually the port for theegr valve and theother end of tube is on the intake manifold and actually I have an appointment on Friday with the muffler guy that's going to weld a bung on to it for thirty bucks and then I've got a high temperature hose to put between the two halves of the tube I cut the tube in half putting 1/2 up on the intake 1/2 at the exhaust and then I'm running a high temperature rubber w/braided steel cover hose between the two. I will post after that and hopefully I will be saying that I've got no more hard code for the EGR but thanks for that reply I really appreciate you looking into it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts