Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So it seems my radiator has decided it doesn't wish to contain it's coolant anymore........... Got a Nissens radiator and part way through changing it - with the obligatory coolant shower (nice weather for it) but I've got a bit stuck.....

The coolant came out no problem but I'm stuck on the transmission cooler lines - Is there a knack to reaching the connection to the radiator? I can't even feel for the connections, let alone see them... alternatively, what did you use to block the transmission cooler hardlines that the rubber ones connect to ? I was thinking golf tees but I don't have any....any suggestions that I can source this evening/tomorrow

If anyone drains their radiator and it's full of Motul OAT Inugel, make sure your mouth is closed as I found out it tastes awful ! :lol:

Edit: It went at 103,000 miles

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
Easier if you have ramps, then you have a pretty good view

I have manual so not an issue for me,

Radiator did have the connections though

assume you just disconnect / reconnect and top up transmission fluid

·
Lucas
2004 Forester XT Manual
2,825 Posts
Hey Man good to see you working on Foz. Well the access to transmission cooling lines is hard. you fave to do it from the top rather than bottom, as on the bottom there should be additional skid which is covering them (not engine cover but a sheet metal or plastic plate). It, might be hard to located from the top. You can 'track' them when you stand in front of the car and look in the engine bay they are attached to righ body leg next the battery. They more less on going to both side of radiator. They are cover by fans, so if you could take out fan you could see it better.
If you want to block engine cooler lines go under the car take off gearbox try and using of existing hoses return it. There are two hard pipes on gearbox inlet and outlet, just join them and job done.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the trans lines off..... what a pain in the arse that was ! getting them off the old rad was even tougher... sadly the old hose clips had to be sacrificed in the process... Covered off each end of the water pipes and will hit local halfords (which doesn't close late like the big stores) in the morning for new hose clips

I ended up cutting 2 fingers off a rubber glove and using cable ties to block the rigid trans lines with temporarily :)

Lucas, I had a look from the top of the rad but my arms just aren't long or flexible enough to be able to disconnect the rad end of the trans lines with it in situ haha. My new rad has a trans cooler so I'm not blocking it off :)

·
Lucas
2004 Forester XT Manual
2,825 Posts
Well good to hear you manage to swap it at the end of the day. I am going to do some work on my both cars tomorrow. And for some reason I have a feeling I will end up with a lot of bruise.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it's been less than a day and the new radiator leaks :(

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So it seems my radiator has failed after 5 years :(

Can anyone recommend a longer lasting radiator than the Nissens, that still has the inbuilt transmission cooler at the bottom.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Quite honestly, I replaced the radiator in my wife's '08 with another stock one at about 100k miles (IIRC) and it now has 253,000 miles on the odo. .....no signs of leaks, etc. Did the same in my '03 WRX although that car only had 100k. That one failed relatively early but the replacement was holding up.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks @Kean I'm probably going to avoid the dealer route if possible, as the price from memory from them was in the £400 range ($500USD) :(

I could buy 2 Nissens radiators for that and have change leftover, although there is the argument if the radiator lets go, it could cause overheating, which would make the cost of a dealership radiator look insignificant.........

Do the all-aluminium radiators hold up well over time or do they like to spring leaks too ? I've seen lots of mixed reviews of the Mishimotos and they don't include the transmission coolers either..

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Oh, yeah. Forgot you're over there as I responded from the "What's New" list of forum responses. Sorry about that.

Here in the U.S. they are relatively cheap. .....under $300 IIRC.

....I just found one for $227 USD in a quick search. When I had to replace them in my other cars, the OEM parts were actually one of the cheaper solutions.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Subaru UK, owned by IM charge extortionate prices on their parts for Subaru. It makes the US dealers price look like great deals in comparison.

I've found this one, which looks like a replica to the factory one - It even comes with the transmission lines at the bottom, which the USDM Foresters never got oddly.

Any ideas who makes the factory one by chance?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Any ideas who makes the factory one by chance?
Me? .....no, although now that I think of it, it may have been Calsonic Kansei the same manufacturer as the one in my wife's new Forester. The name and font seems really familiar.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to update this,
I've decided to go with the Denso radiator in the hope for a bit more longevity.
Cheapest place I found were these at £106.28. DENSO Radiator, engine cooling DRM36001 | Sparkplugs Ltd
No one in the UK seems to have stock after trying 3 places and all have to order from suppliers in Europe oddly.

I considered a Nissens all aluminium radiator but couldn't find an application for the Forester.

·
Registered
2005 Forester Sti
297 Posts

AS Performance are usually good with sourcing stock, you would need to phone them to check prices though

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
635 Posts
I installed a Denso in my 2011 2 months ago. Perfect fit. You will be quite happy with it. Very well made. Denso makes good stuff in my opinion. I use their cabin and engine air filters as well

·
Registered
2003 Forester AW Manual with low ratio
235 Posts
Got mine from Adrad a couple of years ago, but check against their diagrams for fitment spacing and piping diagrams, for example slightly different versions listed for some auto v manual models. Quality looking pattern part, mine was labelled on the box from a Dutch manufacturer ( cant remember the name)

·
Registered
2004 Forester STI
442 Posts
I thought Nissens where the oem manufacturer , Ive heard Mishimoto leak quite abit
My Mishimoto has been fault free since Install.... 🤔

Don't forget it's the perfect chance to change the hoses as well, as they will no doubt be the next to go.....ask me how i know!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts