Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 XT 4EAT with around 172k miles. Just went for a good 1hr drive and when I parked and stopped the car, the hood was filled with smoke and there looks to be oil everywhere basically looks like something exploded. Looks like its mostly on the driver side and theres all the way from the radiator to the transmission pan. Took some picture
Automotive tire Human body Hood Sleeve Grey
Hood Grille Automotive lighting Vehicle Bumper
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle
Product Motor vehicle Black Automotive exterior Clock
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Glove Tread
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Rim
Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Musical instrument Motor vehicle Fender
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Automotive fuel system

I've did an oil change around 1000 miles ago and oil level looks good. I also did the VCG and replaced the radiator and timing belt/pully/water pump etc.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
3,748 Posts
In your 3rd last picture with the jacking plate, it almost looks like the colour of the fluid is a red/brownish fluid? Check the power steering fluid level, maybe you have a leak there. Also check your transmission fluid as you have a 4EAT and that fluid also has a similar colour.

·
Registered
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
1,025 Posts
If the oil is transmission oil (smell it to find out) and on the front of the engine, check the hoses and connections to the cooler located inside the radiator.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
1,142 Posts
Yeah, it looks like Transmission fluid. But Transmission fluid is often also used for power steering. So, check your power steering reservoir to see #1 if the fluid is low, #2 if the fluid is red.

You'll probably have to run it to find out where the fluid is coming from.(a good clean ahead of time wouldn't hurt).

To be honest with you, I felt a sense of relief when I saw that the oil/fluid appears to NOT be engine oil!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS
57 Posts
I'd personally go and replace the rest of the rubber transmission lines as well, I believe there are 4 in total (unless I'm mistaken), and it's good insurance against that happening again. given the amount of the system being opened a drain and fill probably wouldn't suck, at least to get you up to where it was before you lost it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts