Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Forester Key Fob problem. Interior door lock switch works OK. Manual key lock works OK. Remote key fob will lock only and doesn’t unlock remotely. Replaced battery. Battery was not the issue. Ask for help.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
190 Posts
If you end up needing to purchase another one, I've had good results with "Northcoast Keyless." Had to replace the FOB on my '14 Cherokee and ended up getting (2) for the price of (1) at the dealer. You'll still need to go to the dealer or have a mobil key replacement company program the FOB to your car but you'lll save a bunch by NOT buying one from the dealer. Good luck!

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
Lots of locksmiths and some autoparts places have a setup that let you check whether your keyfob is working when you press a button.
If it transmits when you press either button, perhaps try reprogramming the car to it. It often involves some special sequence you have to perform in a specific time. There's info out there on it.

if it doesn't transmit when you press the unlock code, it likely is the switch but really could be anything on its little PC board. You may be able to replace that switch but sourcing a direct replacement could be a challenge and may not even fis the problem.
Instead, you may be able to find a replacement key fob on ebay or someplace like that.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,749 Posts
@Sherpa take a look at this post in my Member Journal: Remote fob repair

If you opt for a replacement, you might consider upgrading to this: Integrated key fob!
Unless you have an XT, no immobilize security, so you don't have to worry about transferring the chip. This makes the process very easy to do! This upgrade works on the '03-'08.

Here's a link to the Integrated key fob MOD we did on my son's '03 X: An Integrated Key Fob for Alex's '03 X!

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your suggestions.
From the original post:
2005 Forester Key Fob problem. Interior door lock switch works OK. Manual key lock works OK. Remote key fob will lock only and doesn’t unlock remotely. Replaced battery. Battery was not the issue. Ask for help.

Update:
We purchased and received a new remote/fob after confirming that it was the proper one for our vehicle. We meticulously followed the instructions to activate/program it. Unfortunately, it did not solve the problem (see above for the problem we’re having). We were directed (both by my owner’s manual and the info that came with the new remote) at one point to turn the ignition on and off 10 times after which the horn should sound indicating the programming was successful. We tried this multiple times, carefully following the instructions. The horn never did sound, hence the remote was not programmed.
Has anyone had this issue and if so, how did you overcome it?

·
Administrator
38,749 Posts
@Sherpa I've read your post several times & this confuses me.
We purchased and received a new remote/fob after confirming that it was the proper one for our vehicle. We meticulously followed the instructions to activate/program it. Unfortunately, it did not solve the problem (see above for the problem we’re having).
Did you get the new remotes programmed & they didn't resolve your problem or was the new remote fob programing "unsuccessful", so you're where you started?

Your '05 remote fob should program like my son's '03 X. I posted it earlier, but here it is again. Scroll down to the programing instructions we posted here: An Integrated Key Fob for Alex's '03 X!

Bobby...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Sherpa take a look at this post in my Member Journal: Remote fob repair

If you opt for a replacement, you might consider upgrading to this: Integrated key fob!
Unless you have an XT, no immobilize security, so you don't have to worry about transferring the chip. This makes the process very easy to do! This upgrade works on the '03-'08.

Here's a link to the Integrated key fob MOD we did on my son's '03 X: An Integrated Key Fob for Alex's '03 X!

Bobby...

Thank you SO much. My husband followed your directions to repair the existing fob. The "unlock" connection needed to be repaired. He soldered it back in place and now, thankfully, the original fob is working. Mahalo! Secondly, in the meantime, we did purchase (not through the dealer) a 2nd fob, which we are having difficulty programming. We confirmed that this is the correct fob. Have followed the directions several times. After going through each step, no horn sounds to indicate programming successful. We're stuck.

·
Administrator
38,749 Posts
@Sherpa congratulations on the successful repair of your remote fob! Always good to hear a write up in my Member Journal was helpful!

As to the programing of your new remote fob. A couple questions:

[1] Were you able to get into the programing mode by doing this:
Place the ignition key into the ignition switch and cycle the switch from LOCK to ON ten times within 15 seconds. Be sure to stop at the LOCK position. The horn will sound once to indicate that you are in the transmitter programming mode.
[2] If no to the above question, does the horn work?

Bobby...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts