Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a 2005 Forester 2.5X with about 210000 mi on the body and unsure what's on the motor as it was replaced about 3 years ago from a salvage yard freebie. The problem I am having is on a cold start for about the first 30 seconds of the start there is a metal on metal sound, after that it's completely gone. The vehicle drives completely fine. All of the fluid levels are where they should be and all have been recently replaced. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
314 Posts
not sure if you you've made any progress on this, but what you are describing sounds like piston slap as it goes away after the car starts to warm up. Google it and watch some videos and see if the sounds are similar to yours. Its annoying, but generally not a big deal. Hard to say though without being able to see/hear it. Are you able to post a video of it occurring?

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Might be piston slap... the skirts of the pistons are too small for the cylinders until they warm a bit.

Made noise before? For how long? Could try a thicker synthetic motor oil...

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
890 Posts
The problem I am having is on a cold start for about the first 30 seconds of the start there is a metal on metal sound, after that it's completely gone.
If I were worried enough about it this would be my recommendation: $.02
1 - Take a stopwatch and time the noise for 3 cold starts; write down what oil it has in it.
2 - Change the oil to a thinner oil (same brand); fire it up at least once to get the new oil into all the passageways.
3 - Time the noise interval again for 3 cold starts; write it down. Your new less viscous oil will get around faster at the start, and this should tell you if restricted oil flow has anything to do with the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts