Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2005 - Help with mystery bolts and holes when putting sunroof assembly and headline back in?

('03-'05) 
2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Antho_Dava 
#1 ·
I tried to fix the sunroof on my '05 FXT without success. It is now fixed in place, never to open again.

In a bag that I labeled "sunroof", there are 4 leftover bolts. I believe I identified the holes that they thread into, but I can't figure out what part should be installed there. I've stared at the FSM and diagrams on parts.subaru.com and can't find anything that attached with bolts here:

Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Plant

Right next to the rear grab handle bolt holes are two similar holes on each side. What the heck was being held up here? I'm about to say F it and just put the headliner back in, but figured I'd ask.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
This is why it’s always a good idea to take photos of the step by step disassembly. You can go to a Subaru dealership parts website that may show the bolts and locations.

I also use color marking pens to match parts or fasteners. Especially if I haven’t done the DIY before. It’s not easy to figure out after the fact.

Even the pros make diagrams and cardboard bolt hole locators. I’m sorry that I couldn’t be of more help.

#4 ·
The bolts look just like the style that the sunroof assembly is held in place with, but they are all installed already.

The holes look the same as grab-handle holes, but note the picture and how the rear grab-handles have two sets of holes. The grab-handle bolts have screw-heads and those thin washer things that keep the bolt from falling out, so they are all still in the grab-handles.

I checked the Subaru parts website and can't find anything that bolts up there.
I also tried finding youtube videos of people taking out the headliner, but haven't found one yet.

Dang it anyway! Oh let me look at my own pictures, I might have taken one when just the headliner was out.

#6 ·
Ya I looked at all the interior pages that seemed relevant, and this page INNER TRIM. PAD.. 2005 Subaru Forester | Subaru Parts Online

I found a pic of prior to me taking out the sunroof assembly, but there is nothing bolted on there. However, you can tell the bolts were there because of wear on the metal, around all 4 holes on each grab-handle mounting bracket.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

The mystery continues...

#9 ·
I've deduced that those extra holes with square guide holes were definitely meant for the grab-handle, perhaps on another model of Subaru. And all 4 holes definitely had a bolt in them. The only pieces not in the car is the entire interior, which is all plastic except for the seatbelt brackets.

It's almost like Subaru put bolts in the extra holes to serve as spares...but that doesn't make sense.
I took a grab handle off of my 07 FXT and felt around on that bracket...I don't feel any extra bolts in there but I couldn't quite get my hand or a visual up in there, and I don't feel like taking seatbelts and crap out of that car just to look.

BAH! I don't have time to screw around with this. I need to get the interior installed before it rains tomorrow.

#11 ·
I was going to swap interiors between an 05 and 07 but the changes to the passenger seat and side airbags in '06 made it basically impossible without swapping entire bulkhead wiring.
I was also going to trade transmissions between them, but swapping a 5MT to a 4EAT also requires swapping the entire bulkhead wiring if you want to do it right. Not worth the effort, really.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.