Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester X 5M
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm old school and a bit late to this party. I have an 05 manual X and the 2.5 and clutch are starting to get a bit tired. It's a great car and I'd love to see it get a new lease of life so thinking about an H6 + 6spd swap as a project, with the goal being a finished daily driver (all working, no check lights).

Understandably this is not a simple plug and play and I get that at least the exhaust and radiator will be custom, but I've got some other questions first to see if it's a viable project for me.

If anyone reading this has done this swap and has some hands on advice, please jump in, but any info will be welcome.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my idea is to avoid the CANbus to non CANbus hassle by sourcing a pre CANbus EZ30 as I'm thinking that's be the best match for my non CANbus Foz X.

From others posts I've read I know the H6 will fit (snuggly), so here are my queries:

1. I know the EZ30 is marginally longer but will there be room for the air con and if so will the Foz air con just bolt straight up?

2. Can the 6spd and drivetrain come from a later CANbus car (ie are the later gearboxes wired for CANbus?) or does it have to come from an earlier non CANbus car as well?

3. Is there a donor radiator from any other Subaru that works in this swap to overcome the over heating issues with the H6, or is it mean a custom radiator primarily because of lack of room?

4. Is there room for rear mounted fans on the radiator, or do you go front mounted 'push' fans (if that even works)?

5. Can you use a CANbus EZ30 at all or is it a real headache getting it to work with the non CANbus ECU in the Foz?

6. Is it best to effectively swap the wiring loom totally from the donor car and almost replace the loom in the Foz, or do you just cut and splice the EZ30 loom into the Foz loom?

7. Does the ECU have to be a custom re-map, a complete stand alone unit, a transplant ECU from the donor car (effectively meaning you have an EZ30 car inside a Foz body), or can you use the stock Foz ECU? What are the current costs here in Aus for these options?

8. Is it even possible to have this swap into an 05 Foz end up complete without any check lights?

9. Fuel supply, again do you take everything (including fuel pump) straight out of the donor car?

10. Do engine mounts have to be custom or do the EZ30 mounts work?

Any info, answers, links, and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers. M

·
Administrator
17,351 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,803 Posts
Project or "Career"

·
Registered
2005 Forester X 5M
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exactly, I'm up for a project but not a career. It seems relatively straight forward enough getting the H6 & drivetrain in there, but there's no point if you can't keep it cool or tune it or get rid of check lights.

I know I've put up a lot of queries in my post, but the most important really is can you successfully create a reliable daily driver with no check lights, without it becoming a long term 'career' option?

If anyone's done it successfully, jump in and let me know whether it turned out to be a project, or career?

·
Registered
2003 Forester
161 Posts
1. I know the EZ30 is marginally longer but will there be room for the air con and if so will the Foz air con just bolt straight up?

The condenser is in front of the radiator so no problems there. My 03 NA compressor fit right in the EZ30 bracket. Just had to trim the cover as the lines come in different.

2. Can the 6spd and drivetrain come from a later CANbus car (ie are the later gearboxes wired for CANbus?) or does it have to come from an earlier non CANbus car as well?

I kept mine 4EAT but from a quick peek at a FSM it looks like the trans doesn't care. Your stock 5 speed trans would work fine and keep costs down to start. Can always swap later.

3. Is there a donor radiator from any other Subaru that works in this swap to overcome the over heating issues with the H6, or is it mean a custom radiator primarily because of lack of room?

I used a new OEM style Outback radiator to retain the double upper hoses and modified my top brackets to fit . Lower mounts are the same. No overheating issues so far.

4. Is there room for rear mounted fans on the radiator, or do you go front mounted 'push' fans (if that even works)?

I have a 16" puller on the drivers side and a 14" pusher on the pass side.

5. Can you use a CANbus EZ30 at all or is it a real headache getting it to work with the non CANbus ECU in the Foz?

This. I used a non VDC 02 Outback as my donor.

6. Is it best to effectively swap the wiring loom totally from the donor car and almost replace the loom in the Foz, or do you just cut and splice the EZ30 loom into the Foz loom?

I used all of the Outback loom from ECU to engine. All the ECU to everywhere else wires I cut and spliced at about behind the blower assembly.

7. Does the ECU have to be a custom re-map, a complete stand alone unit, a transplant ECU from the donor car (effectively meaning you have an EZ30 car inside a Foz body), or can you use the stock Foz ECU? What are the current costs here in Aus for these options?

I went stock ECU so it thinks it's in the original car. There is a lot of power left on the table with the OEM tune but it's so much better than the 2.5. I wish it got better gas mileage though. There are some differences but you can get around them. A big one is the EZ car had both rad fans wired together with three speeds. The EJ has two fan outputs(relays) with just on and off. I wired them all together so any EZ output turns both fans on full speed. Louder than it probably needs to be but it was less wirings and could use OTS slim fans.

8. Is it even possible to have this swap into an 05 Foz end up complete without any check lights?

Yes I did it. There is additional wiring required if taking and auto car and putting it in a manual. At least in the US we never got an OEM manual EZ. You guys did at least on the DBW ones.

9. Fuel supply, again do you take everything (including fuel pump) straight out of the donor car?

I put a used kicking around Evo 9 pump in. It's ~190 lph and quiet.

10. Do engine mounts have to be custom or do the EZ30 mounts work?

EZ30 mounts dropped right into the subframe.

Any info, answers, links, and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers. M

·
Registered
2005 Forester X 5M
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BeatupVR4, Thanks heaps for taking the time to reply in such detail. Really appreciate it! I'll digest what you've written and come back to you.

With some effort, it sounds like I'll be able to do what I imagined.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X 5M
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lots of good stuff in your reply BeatupVR4, very helpful👍🏻
A couple of checks?

Does the ECU have to be a custom re-map, a complete stand alone unit, a transplant ECU from the donor car (effectively meaning you have an EZ30 car inside a Foz body), or can you use the stock Foz ECU? What are the current costs here in Aus for these options?

I went stock ECU so it thinks it's in the original car.
Which stock ECU do mean? Did you swap in the EZ ECU, or continued to use the FJ ECU (I'm thinking the former, but just clarifying)?

Yes I did it. There is additional wiring required if taking and auto car and putting it in a manual. At least in the US we never got an OEM manual EZ. You guys did at least on the DBW ones.
By DBW, you're referring to drive by wire? Drive by wire is the CANbus system isn't it?

Cheers

·
Registered
2003 Forester
161 Posts
Lots of good stuff in your reply BeatupVR4, very helpful👍🏻
A couple of checks?

Which stock ECU do mean? Did you swap in the EZ ECU, or continued to use the FJ ECU (I'm thinking the former, but just clarifying)?

By DBW, you're referring to drive by wire? Drive by wire is the CANbus system isn't it?

Cheers

Yes stock EZ ECU.

DBW is drive by wire and the DBW cars are CANBUS but the DBW system isn't CANBUS. CANBUS is just communication protocol where packets on info can be sent on one signal line connected to a bunch of different modules. The DBW wiring is direct dedicated signal lines between the pedal, ECU, and throttle body. The CANBUS is mostly for the VDC and HVAC system.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X 5M
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think my challenge here is that I want to stay with a manual gearbox (6spd instead of my current 5spd).

If I went with a non CANbus/non VDC EZ from an early Outback, then those cars were auto only so that EZ ECU wouldn't work with the 6spd. Likewise, the Foz EJ ECU wouldn't work with the EZ30.

If I went with a later CANbus EZ30, 6spd and ECU from a late Liberty/Legacy then that ECU wouldn't work with the 05 Foz body wiring (which I believe is non CANbus).

So it looks like there is no OEM ECU option that will work with the donor car (with EZ30 engine) and the receiving car (05 Foz).

Am I correct in thinking then that the only option in both these cases is a stand alone aftermarket ECU?

Anyone have any thoughts, let me know please?

·
Registered
2003 Forester
161 Posts
If your car is still a cable throttle body the best bet is to get an early EZ30. When people also convert auto -> manual they trick the TCU into thinking the shift solenoids are there with power resistors and I think make the car always think it's in neutral. With an already manual car just try running it with the TCU wires to the ECU disconnected and see how pissed off it gets. You can always try to emulate those signals after.

Part of my troubleshooting with some unknown wires was just starting the car and reading the trouble codes and going through the process of elimination.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X 5M
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If your car is still a cable throttle body the best bet is to get an early EZ30.
I hadn't thought of that. I'm sure my 05 Foz would have a cable throttle body, so I imagine I couldn't use a late DBW EZ30. I'd probably have to convert the Foz to DBW somehow, if that's even possible 🤔

With an already manual car just try running it with the TCU wires to the ECU disconnected and see how pissed off it gets. You can always try to emulate those signals after.
... and much cheaper than a stand alone ECU no doubt.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts