Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you go about getting the grill off an '05 Forester? I have been unable to figure out how to get the clip off that is behind the Subi emblem. My Haynes manual says the grill has to be taken off to get at the round side/parking light.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
Chris-
Did you ever get the parking lights replaced? Is it as tough as it's said to be? My dealer quoted $200...
-Quick

How do you go about getting the grill off an '05 Forester? I have been unable to figure out how to get the clip off that is behind the Subi emblem. My Haynes manual says the grill has to be taken off to get at the round side/parking light.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
2003 XTi Cross Sports 4EAT :(
1,352 Posts
Chris-
Did you ever get the parking lights replaced? Is it as tough as it's said to be? My dealer quoted $200...
-Quick
TWO HUNDRED?! W T F.

Grill is kind of a pull out and the up process. There are directions here somewhere.

Then the molding around the headlamps needs to come off, that's a push outwards from the center motion.

Finally the headlamps need to be pulled out. Takes about 20min tops.

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,936 Posts
Chris:

Grill removal is something I do know about from experience.

Open the hood, look at the top edge of the grey grill part. On the left and right side are four small rectangular holes....

Press in these with a small flat bladed screw driver while pulling the grill GENTLY forward. You are releasing plastic clips by pressing the tool downward. DON'T pull too far, just enough to disengage the clips, you will see the grill top edge start to move forward.

Then and ONLY then, pull the grill UP as you clear the radiator support and it should slide right up and out.

You will see three clips remaining in the cavity, one at the enter and one per side at the lower edge.......

To install, just remove the plastic clips from the cavity (they slide up, as I recall. Then, position them in their holes at the rear of the grill, then slowly push the grill with all of its clips in place in the grill rear face inwards until all clips have seated and sprung open.

Grill should now be snugly in place.

If you break a clip, they cost 3.00 at the parts counter!!

Do this once, you'll develop the feel to do it again without any breakage.

The front end side panels (between the grill and lamps) do NOT need to come off unless you need to get the headlamps out........

Steve

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
^^^ Thanks for the instructions. I've been trying to figure it out forever.

It's for 04/05 right?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts