Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 XS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2005 XS yesterday to add to the collection. This one is going to become my offroad subie. I am in the market for a 2" lift kit and am debating upgrading to bigger tires because of the lift. Tires are 215/60R16. If I drop a wheel size down to 15", but go up a tire size will I have issues with rubbing? I would also appreciate help with determining what larger tire size I would need. I understand you should stay within 20mm of the section width, but that's assuming you're keeping the same wheel size. I searched through threads so if I missed one that can answer these questions, a link would be great

·
Administrator
15,982 Posts
G'day & Welcome @subaruger

If I drop a wheel size down to 15", but go up a tire size will I have issues with rubbing?
I have 15" wheels and 21575R15 BFG AT. They rub a little on full right lock (but RH drive of course). OEM 15" will not clear the front brake calipers, also while the lift helps a little you are still restricted by the bottom of the spring perch.

·
Registered
2005 XS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for your help! Are yours 15x8? I am using the tire calculator in the sticky to help figure this out as well, but it's hard when it says "acceptable for most vehicles"

·
Registered
2000 Forester S, good ol' 5 speed
37 Posts
The issue I found with mine was that the rear tires crash into the spring perch pretty much immediately when you start upping the diameter, and the fronts rub the frame at full lock because of the curvature of the frame just behind them. Hub spacers will murderize wheel bearings a lot faster, but that aside they wont help you since the spacing needed in the rear to clear the perch would be massive, and in the front it doesn't actually buy you anything because the steering geometry puts the axis parallel to the curve, so spacing it just moves the problem down the frame a short way. If you actually want to get serious (bigger than like 3") lift on it I'd recommend modding the arms and driveshafts to be longer, and maybe even doing a double wishbone or similar setup so that the coilover doesn't have to be mounted directly over the wheel. It's either that or frame mods as far as I know.

I put a 2" spacer on mine and was only able to go up about 1.2" in diameter before I started rubbing the front left, and I have less than a finger width to the rear spring perch. 205/75R16s.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
476 Posts
I just finished installing SG Forester rear struts on my '99 SF6. I'm currently running 215/70/16 Cooper Discoverer AT4 tires on the stock five-spoke 16x6.5 alloy wheels (a must, since I've installed WRX front/H6 rear brakes) without a lift. Both ARBs are still installed and I have not noticed any rubbing front or rear in the 60 road miles I've put on the vehicle since finishing the suspension/brakes.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
476 Posts
Well no, I'm not sure. The tires FOR SURE won't hit ANY of the struts, my only concern would be the front mud flaps/fender liners, since those are the wheels that turn. I also still have the F/R ARBs connected, which will limit the individual wheel travel some.

These guys run a 2" front strut top lift, much larger tires and basically no lift in the rear. They go pretty hard and don't even have cut fenders (though they have removed both bumper covers and the side skirts.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
476 Posts
They're on stock Forester steel wheels, not sure if they're running spacers, but their rear struts are custom.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts