Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 FXT
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I lurk here a lot but unfortunately don't always have a lot to contribute. I had a couple of question regarding some maintenance on my wife's '05 FXT. I've done a little searching here and had a few questions.

First is the coolant. From what I've read by 50K it should be changed. Correct? We've got the turbo so it looks like I'll need to do some more searching here so make sure I do that correctly.

Second is the tranny and diffs. I don't have much experience working on our Subaru mostly because it's been a great car. Diffs are easy, drain and fill right? We have a manual tranny, drain and fill as well. Correct? As far as the tranny goes will a drain and fill take care of everything? I drive a 4Runner and the manual tranny and t-case are seperate so those are independent drain and fills. Is there a center diff or transfer case on the Subaru I need to tend to? If so drain and fill?

Third is the spark plugs. At 50k they are over their 30K service life so I plan to pull them and check them out. If they appear to be dirty or need replacement I'll do it (we've got 2 cars and a dealer nearby so I'd take it apart only once). Do I need to replace the wires if I replace the plugs? My 4Runner has the factory plugs and wires and they are still fine after 10 years (although I have replacements in my work bench).

Thanks in advanced for help.
Mike

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
The rear diff and tranny are an easy drain and fill. You will need a T70 bit to drain the tranny though. In the MT the front diff, center diff and tranny share the same fluid, so it is a simple drain and fill to cover all three of those.

·
Registered
2005 FXT
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The rear diff and tranny are an easy drain and fill. You will need a T70 bit to drain the tranny though. In the MT the front diff, center diff and tranny share the same fluid, so it is a simple drain and fill to cover all three of those.
So each piece has it own drain plug. Everything is so small on these vehicles it sounds like a pain to fill them up. Does the rear diff use a different fluid than the front and tranny? I also take it that the center diff has it's own drain and fill plug.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
The tranny has 1 drain plug. a Huge T70 star bolt. Draining that one spot will cover your front diff, center diff and tranny. The rear diff has square drain plug and I just use a 1/2 drive to open it. I use 75w90 in both locations.

·
Registered
2005 FXT
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tranny has 1 drain plug. a Huge T70 star bolt. Draining that one spot will cover your front diff, center diff and tranny. The rear diff has square drain plug and I just use a 1/2 drive to open it. I use 75w90 in both locations.

So the tranny, front diff and center diff are all one reservoir? Weird. I guess I haven't been under there far enough to check that out. So by draining that one plug and filling underhood (an that dip stick) those components are covered? How do make sure you get all the fluid out or is that not a big deal as long as the fluid isn't comtaminated?

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
2,039 Posts
.....Third is the spark plugs. At 50k they are over their 30K service life so I plan to pull them and check them out. If they appear to be dirty or need replacement I'll do it (we've got 2 cars and a dealer nearby so I'd take it apart only once). Do I need to replace the wires if I replace the plugs? My 4Runner has the factory plugs and wires and they are still fine after 10 years (although I have replacements in my work bench).

Thanks in advanced for help.
Mike
Are you sure about the 30k change interval on the plugs? On the XT I think they use a different plug (not copper) and it's supposed to be good for 60k.

At least that's what I remember from my 04 FXT.

·
Registered
06 STi, 08 STi
206 Posts
Thought this would be helpful for your maintenance check-list. We researched Subaru's maintenance schedule recommendations when coming up with our in-house services... It is recommended to change the plugs by or at 60K miles. Obviously this lists some of the specific fluids, etc. that we use here in house as well, but there are a variety of quality options out there. Hope this is helpful for you!

Rick
IAG Performance

30,000 & 90,000 Mile Service
-Oil change using your choice of Motul, Eneos or Valvoline Synthetics
-K&N or Purolator Pure One Oil Filter & new drain plug washer
-Replace Transmission Fluid w/ Motul 75w90 (other fluids available upon request)
-Replace Differential Fluid w/ Motul 75w90 (WRX) or Motul PA 90 (STi)
-Coolant flush and inspect cooling system, hoses and connections. Global coolant w/ 1 bottle of Motul MoCool
-Air Filter Service (replace factory filter w/ K&N Drop-In, or clean & lubricate existing filter)
-Flush & replace brake fluid w/ your choice of Ate SuperBlue or Motul DOT 5.1
-Inspect brake pads and rotors
-Inspect brake lines and check operation of parking brake
-Inspect Front & Rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions
-Inspect clutch operation
-Inspect Steering & Suspension
-Inspect tires & rotate
-PCV Valve
-Top-off all fluids
-Replace fuel filter and inspect fuel system

60,000 Mile Service
-All services performed in 30K Service
-Change spark plugs

·
Registered
2005 FXT
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, this has been very helpful. Looks like I'll do some part gathering here pretty soon and start breaking into this. Didn't think about the PCV. I guess I'll pull it to take a look at it.

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
2,039 Posts
If the PCV valve is located where it was on the 04 FXT, its a miserable thing to reach. I went to change it, took one look at it and said "This is going to break really easy". So I took the PCV valve in hand to the dealership and paid them to replace it.

I had a loaner car for a day while they overnighted in the parts they needed after their best mechanic broke the assembly trying to change it.

I've heard the easiest way is to pull the intake manifold, so you might want to examine / evaluate that really close before you go after it.

Again, this assumes they didn't wise up and move it on the 05's from where it was on the 04's.

·
Registered
2005 FXT
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
4x4mike,

I'm glad your here. There's a bunch of excellent information that can be gathered at this wonderful site.

Above your thread there's a sticky that has a link to the subaru us maint. schedules

Good Luck and enjoy!!

dm
Thanks. I'm on many different forums and some are pretty hard on the newbies. I did search and read the sticky's but thought some of my question was a little more specific. Thanks for making me feel welcome. I hope I can learn some working on my wife's car to be able to help others.

·
Registered
2005 FXT
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the PCV valve is located where it was on the 04 FXT, its a miserable thing to reach. I went to change it, took one look at it and said "This is going to break really easy". So I took the PCV valve in hand to the dealership and paid them to replace it.

I had a loaner car for a day while they overnighted in the parts they needed after their best mechanic broke the assembly trying to change it.

I've heard the easiest way is to pull the intake manifold, so you might want to examine / evaluate that really close before you go after it.

Again, this assumes they didn't wise up and move it on the 05's from where it was on the 04's.
Bummer. Pulling the intake manifold. I may just wait until it throws codes if it's that much work. I'll take a look and snap some pics. On my 4Runner it's right on top and in the front. I pull it every oil change to inspect and clean off if necessary.

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,743 Posts
I'm not sure where the location is on the 05 fxt's but for my 02 wrx the pcv valve was located under the throttle body on the back side of the intake manifold.

Only taking off the intercooler was necessary.

dm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts