Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I made a post earlier in the past about some misfiring troubles I was experiencing. Long story short it had cracked ringlands, a bunch of other problems. I slapped new piston set, redid the heads, etc. Now a weak later the passenger head gasket is leaking coolant and my turbo is going out..warped head.

This engine is just beyond redemption in my mind, so I decided to say luv it and will buy a new engine to swap.

I've been looking at the SG9 EJ257 long block package, comes with the wiring and vf41 turbo, ecu, etc.

My question is (and I've tried doing my research prior to posting) it is currently on the 4EAT transmission. Can I still bolt in and swap as easy as it sounds? Everyone has the 5mt prior to swap and I see no guides using the 4EAT. I'm just looking to be put in the right direction, I can wrench myself so I'm not concerned about labor costs.

I just want a good running motor :( any suggestions are welcome

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
1,009 Posts
That's a really good question. And I'll admit that I don't have the answer you seek. What I can tell you is that I swapped a Manual transmission from a 99 Impreza into my 02 Forester without any difficulties.

Hopefully the engine package you're looking at will be compatible with your wiring harness and ECU.
I'm pretty sure that the ECU for a manual will not be compatible with a 4EAT ECU. So, you'll have to stick with your ECU.

You may have to swap some sensors. Like cam and crank. But... I don't really know. I'm speculating.

·
Registered
2003 EJ20K Forester
378 Posts
If it's a different power level engine, different turbo, different transmission...you probably want the ECU to match the engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response. I think I'm going to pull the trigger, as I already attempted a rebuild w/o a new shortblock, and all machine shops are booked for months around me in MN/WI. Heads are beyond my knowledge without some machine work and I already sunk about a grand in parts. It's a learning experience!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a really good question. And I'll admit that I don't have the answer you seek. What I can tell you is that I swapped a Manual transmission from a 99 Impreza into my 02 Forester without any difficulties.

Hopefully the engine package you're looking at will be compatible with your wiring harness and ECU.
I'm pretty sure that the ECU for a manual will not be compatible with a 4EAT ECU. So, you'll have to stick with your ECU.

You may have to swap some sensors. Like cam and crank. But... I don't really know. I'm speculating.
I have a 5mt forester XS donor car I was gonna swap the transmission in. I can do both at the same time if that's recommended. I'll find out soon enough. I was just hoping to get the engine running first before ripping two cars apart. This was an ebay find I picked up from Colorado a month ago. Lol. I get what I paid for. No rust though!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts