Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 forester X
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my sister borrowed my car while I was on vacation! When I came back
I found PUKE all over the outside of the car and now the car makes a funny noise!!! I hate sisters!!! :chair:

I have a 2005 forester X, manual trans, 115K miles... The noise is a knocking/ tapping noise coming from the engine. The noise happens in neutral when you rev over 2000rpm. The noise happens in 1, 2, 3 and 4th gear. In first gear it happens when accelerate past 2.5 rpm. In 2nd 3rd and 4th gear the sound starts when you are maintaining a speed, but mainly when you are gradually slowing down/easing of the gas, no sound when you accelerate or completely take your foot off the gas.

Im thinking it might need to have a valve adjustment? I dont know much about cars. Subaru dealership wants $1500 to do an engine tear down to find the problem! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
2005 forester X
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
had oil changed every 3,000... doesnt sound like somethings loose. sounds internal

·
Registered
2014 CVT
826 Posts
just checking on the oil, check your service records if you have not had the timing belt replace, it needs to be done NOW!!!! the timing belt itself is what keeps the engine running right by keeping the valves in time with the engine, has your gas mileage gone down? lose of power?

·
Registered
2014 CVT
826 Posts
have you tried a independent shop? having work done at dealers isnt cheap, but you need the timing belt done, it should be done at 100k or so which you are past, and are now pushing it

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
106 Posts
The description makes me suspect the catalytic converter is internally damaged or there is an exhaust rattle. Can you raise the car up on jackstands, reproduce the sound and try to localize it? Is the CEL on?

Have a listen to some of the 'catalytic converter rattle' links on YouTube, like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIqD9Xakpy0

Is that similar to your sound?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts