Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all.

I have a 2005 Subaru Forester 2.5XT with manual transmission, short throw shifter, and cruise control that was installed by the dealer when I purchased the car new. It currently has 61000 miles on it.

Last fall, it developed an unwelcome quirk. The quirk went away for 6 months and now it is back.

The quirk is this:
With the cruise control off, go down the road in the appropriate gear for the speed of travel at a constant speed for say 2 minutes. Push in on the clutch and take your foot off the accelerator. The engine idle will either stay where it was (3-4K rpm) or increase slightly (500 rpm). This condition will persist until the speed drops to around 5 mph or the transmission is taken out of gear. Stepping on the brake has no effect on the engine idle. There's nothing like the feeling of coming to a stoplight with your engine screeming at full tilt boogie. It's a little un-nerving when it occurs and you aren't expecting it.

Under warranty, the service department at the dealership replaced the throttle body position sensor and re-flashed the control module which didn't fix the problem. The dealership got a recommendation from the SOA field engineer to replace the throttle position sensor and cable. About that time, the problem went away on its own.

The problem has returned. I haven't had a chance to discuss the re-occurence with the dealership yet. I wanted to get a few opinions/suggestions that I could take to the dealership. In my opinion, it seems that replacing the throttle position sensor and cable won't fix anything because the idle drops the second that the car is taken out of gear which has nothing to do with the trottle position sensor or its cable.

Now that the warranty has expired, I am worried that any "here, let's try this" fixes that the dealership is going to try will be on my dime. I don't mind paying for fixes that work. I get a little ticked at paying for those that don't.

A sub-quirk:
When this is occuring and you fix the problem by taking it out of gear, the engine idle goes to 1000 rpm then slowly over the next 2 seconds will increase to 1500 rpm. The engine idle will then drop to 1000 rpm and repeat the process.

When the car runs correctly, the engine idles happily at 750 rpm.

Thanks for any assistance, suggestions, remarks, and/or fixes!
Eagle4
"I have a turbo and I know how to use it..."

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5 Premium Crappy 4EAT
254 Posts
Funny, similar prob

I have a similar issue with my '05 2.5X, MT.

I first noticed the prob when shifting, I would take the foot off the gas, hit the clutch and watch the rpms spike about 3-400. It does it mostly in 3rd and 4th gear. I have learned to live with it since I am at 85000 miles now.

·
Registered
2005 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also have that similar problem.

Javan,

I get that too. When everything is acting normal, I do get a 3-400 uptick in the rpms that last 1 to 1.5 seconds. I didn't think much about it.

Now that you mention it, the problem I am having is also more prevalent in third and forth gear.

Before you resigned yourself to living with your the problem, what (if anything) did you do to try to fix it?

I wonder if all of these symtoms are related to the same problem.

Thanks for replying.

·
Registered
2005 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Battery Disconnectage Results:

Brob1986,

Thanks for the reply. I tried that and the problem is still there. The only thing that it successfully accomplished is to reset the radio presets and the clock.

Since my problem was reported prior to the warranty expiration, the dealership is going to take a look at it tomorrow under warranty.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
800 Posts
i definitely think this is ECU related.. i had this problem til i flashed to Stage 2.. n now it doesnt do it anymore

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Forester XS
167 Posts
I also have the "sub-quirk" you mentioned, when cruising out of gear the idle wonders between 1000 - 1500rpm.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have not done anything for it yet. Currently dealing with a misfire problem (every time it rains and the car sits for a few days).

I have the battery disconnected for a few hours now, will see if it helps. I will let you know.

·
Registered
2005 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update

I took the car back to the dealer. The Service Manager wasn't happy upon seeing the "posessed vehicle" again. They took it for a test drive with the computer hooked up to the diagnostic port. It happened twice during the test drive and they captured the data both times.

No vacuum leaks or vacuum line problems were found.

The Service Manager, mechanic, and I all think that it's a computer problem. They won't replace it without a blessing from SOA.

The engineers at SOA are currently reviewing the data.

Will keep you posted.

Eagle4

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
I have a 2005 Subaru Forester 2.5XT with manual transmission, short throw shifter, and cruise control that was installed by the dealer when I purchased the car new. It currently has 61000 miles on it.
The 2005s came with cruise standard, at least according to cars101. Are you sure the dealer installed it after-the-fact?

A sub-quirk:
When this is occuring and you fix the problem by taking it out of gear, the engine idle goes to 1000 rpm then slowly over the next 2 seconds will increase to 1500 rpm. The engine idle will then drop to 1000 rpm and repeat the process.

When the car runs correctly, the engine idles happily at 750 rpm.

Thanks for any assistance, suggestions, remarks, and/or fixes!
Eagle4
"I have a turbo and I know how to use it..."
This sounds like part of the throttle-by-wire programming. If our 04XT does it it isn't noticeable to me any longer; however, it is VERY noticeable on our 08 Legacy SE (n/a motor). If I shift into neutral and hold in the clutch, the throttle will hang at 2000 RPM for a couple seconds. If I let out the clutch right after going into neutral, the revs just drop right to ~750. Check to see if it does it only when you're holding in the clutch in neutral. If so then I think it can be explained away with the throttle-by-wire system.

·
Registered
254 Posts
So, I d/c the battery for about 2 hrs, then reconnected. The rev problem seems to have diminished greatly, but still have a bit of a rumble (knock, misfire, not sure). No new check engine light on though. Thinking it may be time for a tune-up.

·
Registered
2005 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 2005s came with cruise standard, at least according to cars101. Are you sure the dealer installed it after-the-fact?
The cruise may have been standard. The short throw shifter is definitely a dealer installed option.

This sounds like part of the throttle-by-wire programming...If I shift into neutral and hold in the clutch, the throttle will hang at 2000 RPM for a couple seconds. If I let out the clutch right after going into neutral, the revs just drop right to ~750. Check to see if it does it only when you're holding in the clutch in neutral. If so then I think it can be explained away with the throttle-by-wire system.
When the problem is occurring (going down road, push and hold on clutch, let off on the gas, and the engine rpm remains where it was), the engine rpm remains stuck for a couple of seconds after shifting out of gear before slowly returning to idle.

I haven't had a chance to try the second half of your suggestion of releasing the clutch soon after shifting out of gear to see if the rpms drop any faster. For now, I am more concerned with the original problem than how fast the rpms drop once the problem has passed.

I went to alternative transportation (bicycle) for the week. If I get a chance to get the car out, I'll see if there is any difference in the rpm rate drop once car shifted to neutral.

My car is getting old-timer's disease; it forgets to lower the rpm when the clutch is pressed.

Still waiting on the SOA engineers for their diagnostic feedback.

·
Registered
2005 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Solution

The SOA engineer determined that one of the two sensors in the accelerator pedal assembly had gone bad. I haven't gotten the detailed explanation yet other than one sensor read the correct position and the other was stuck.

Why would there be two sensors in that assembly. One would sense the position of the accelerator pedal. Why is there a second?

The problem appears to be solved.

Thanks for reading,

·
Registered
2005 Forester
1 Posts
High RPMs

Hi,
I have the same problem with my Forester. It will race to 6000 rpms or higher when sitting at a light, with clutch in, foot off gas. It's pretty scary, to say the least. I have also had it happen while driving. I took it in to my mechanic who is working on it. They cleaned something which made it better and then replaced the battery but I don't know the results yet. Interesting that it could be an accelerator sensor or a computer panel malfunction. I will ask if they have considered this. I am greatly concerned about my safety, especially given what happened to Toyota. It seemed to happen when my heater was on although I have noticed that it would also do this randomly when starting the car in the morning ( cold start). It does it with a warm or cold engine. I hope we can get this figured out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts