Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2004 forester
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
My 2005 forester base model has a CEL light on. Error code PO302 cylinder 2 misfire detected. I am capable of most routine repairs. Auto zone clerk says changing coil and spark plug but I would appreciate any ones suggestions on diagnosing exactly what the problem is. Does each cylinder have it's own coil? If so is each coil the same link to best video for changing the coil I would probably do a complete tune up to start? Please advise thanks
Just wanted to follow up to say thanks to every one for all the info. I changed wires and plugs all around and it seems to be running good. Even though the car only has 52k on it I think 16 years is time for a tune up. Auto Zone wouldn't clear the code I don't have an OBD scanner, any other way to clear that code?

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,630 Posts
Good news!

Let us know your location in finer detail than just NY, and there just might be a member nearby who can help.

Walmart offers scanners starting at about $15.

·
Administrator
19,630 Posts
The Walmart listing says that it clears codes.

I'm surprised to hear of Auto Zone's unwillingness to clear the code. There have been a lot of reports of having codes cleared without hassle. Maybe the lawyers made them do it? I have heard that stores in California can't even read a code. It's like practicing medicine without a license.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I rarely step foot into an Autozone and never used their help for a CEL (I have my own OBDII reader) but this is a service they say they are offering now:

I'll wager stores that refuse to clear codes is simply due to liability reasons as mentioned. A store clerk clears a code, something goes wrong and they could get blamed for the owner thinking everything was fine. .....or something similar.

·
Registered
2004 forester
26 Posts
Over the years They have been only too happy to read codes for me. This time they said they weren't allowed to come out but give us your license to hold and they will give me the scanner I was fine with that. I will buy a cheap scanner as that's all I really need. Thanks

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I know it doesn't mention clearing the code and that was my point. It doesn't appear they offer to do that anymore or at least phasing it out with this "Fix Finder Service". ......which is essentially just reading the code and offering possible diagnosis.

·
Registered
2004 forester
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Just wanted to follow up to say thanks to every one for all the info. I changed wires and plugs all around and it seems to be running good. Even though the car only has 52k on it I think 16 years is time for a tune up. Auto Zone wouldn't clear the code I don't have an OBD scanner, any other way to clear that code?
One last note, I purchased a scanner from Walmart for $17 cleared code so far so good!

·
Administrator
19,630 Posts
Thanks for getting back to us with the good news.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts