Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 XS 5MT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately when ive been driving at freeway speeds or even coming to a stop, ill push the clutch in and it either stays or starts to creep up to 3000-3500 RPM, then goes back down. This will last up to 5 seconds if i dont intervene with a push of the throttle. By simply revving it, it drops back down, but its very annoying and cant be good in the long run. Sometimes when im on a residential or similar side streets, i can coast in 3rd gear and it feels like a cruise control is on. Anyone have this? I searched here and found one other person somewhat describing this but it looks like the thread was abandoned.

It's at 220k miles and is on a second engine with approx. 110K miles

·
Registered
1998 Forester
950 Posts
I would start by cleaning the throttle body.
Make sure it doesn't hang up and can close properly.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 XS 5MT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Sackett i cleaned it about 6 months ago, although i didnt take the manifold off i just did it with a brush, some cleaner and a rag. Would that cause it to climb though? i can see how it could just hang there for half a dozen reason but the way it gets more gas and climbs has me puzzled

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5X Prem. Automatic
22 Posts
Ive been having something similar with my '07 4at where ill either be on the highway and lightly accelerate or be going from a dead stop and the car will hesitate for a moment, and then get stuck accelerating with rpm's up until I tap the gas or brake and then it stops. It's quite odd, but almost got me in an accident the other day

·
Registered
2004 Forester X
11 Posts
Lately when ive been driving at freeway speeds or even coming to a stop, ill push the clutch in and it either stays or starts to creep up to 3000-3500 RPM, then goes back down. This will last up to 5 seconds if i dont intervene with a push of the throttle. By simply revving it, it drops back down, but its very annoying and cant be good in the long run. Sometimes when im on a residential or similar side streets, i can coast in 3rd gear and it feels like a cruise control is on. Anyone have this? I searched here and found one other person somewhat describing this but it looks like the thread was abandoned.

It's at 220k miles and is on a second engine with approx. 110K miles
I've had the same problem with my 2004, and it may be my thread that was abandoned lol. Mine still does it occasionally but I took the IACV Idle Control Valve off and cleaned it and the throttle body thoroughly and that seemed to help a good bit. I used regular carburetor cleaner...one word of caution, make sure the little red straw is firmly connected before spraying into the throttle body! Or better yet don't use it. I had that little straw shoot off the can and into the throttle body, turned a 15 minute job into a 2 hour ordeal trying to fish it out using a mirror.

Also, I just searched for my old thread and there was a new post I hadn't seen: "On most cars I've worked with, behavior like this can be caused by the accordion tube between the MAF sensor and the intake having small cracks in it and leaking. Try inspecting that pipe for leaks. It helps to remove it and hold it up to a light and see if you can see through it anywhere. "

Mine still does it occasionally so I'm going to look into this as well. Good luck!

·
Registered
04 forester 5mt N/A, 17 impreza at N/A
93 Posts
i just had this happen to my 04 5mt on my drive to work. i had cleaned the throttle body the night before with some carb cleaner and an old tooth brush. i noticed it after my long highway drive and when i can to the red light id push the clutch in and it would hang at 2500 rpms then climb until i let the clutch out while in a gear. my drive is 65 miles so i dont think it has any carb cleaner left in it to spike the rpms like that. i turned the car off at work and on lunch wnet to start the car again and noticed it did not rev up like before but it has almost a small wave to the rpms. with using a scantool i watched the idle rpms go from 655 to 625 then to 675 then back to 655. almost like a wave.
only "mods" ive done is upgrade the grounds to 0 gauge and mil speck battery termals.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
36 Posts
This happens to me, but only when it is cold outside and when the engine is relatively cold still. After my 30ish minute commute to work, there are no problems at all. Have not tried to clean the throttle body yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts