Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 FXT 4EAT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m having trouble finding out where this noise is coming from. It’s a whining noise that, to me, sounded like a bad belt at first. This noise does not occur at idle or when I rev the engine in neutral. The only time I hear this noise is when I’m accelerating while driving; not when my foot is off the gas. Even the slightest touch of the accelerator starts this whining noise and it persists until I take my foot off the accelerator. I think the whine gets higher pitch with rpm but I’m not entirely sure. revved
So far I’ve changed out both serpentine belts and the a/c belt tensioner. I’ve also driven with both belts off and the noise persists. The timing belt and water pump were changed out March 2020 by a reputable shop but I didn’t have the vehicle then to know if the noise existed before that maintenance. I’ve read other posts where it’s one of the cats making a noise but I would think I would hear that when I rev the engine. I’m stumped. What’s got me is what would make noise only when on the gas and under load?

It’s an 05 FXT A/T with 170k miles.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2005 FXT 4EAT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bman400, that did not occur to me so I did check for play in the turbo and everything seems solid to me: no play, no chips. I kind of expected that as it’s a newer FP Blue but doesn’t hurt to check. Also this sound is very distinctive from general turbo noise; the sound I’m talking about has more of a light scrape/grind sound to it which makes me think something is worn somewhere.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
1,129 Posts
Have you tried running it without accessory belts? (you should be able to run in for a few minutes without the alternator. Steering will be tough, but will help you eliminate issues in that area)

Have you removed the timing belt inspection cover to see if there is any rubber-dust in there (an indicator that something is failing in there)

·
Registered
2005 FXT 4EAT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have done the former, but not the latter. Checking for rubber dust is a good idea and I will be checking that tomorrow morning.

However, now that I think about it though, Im starting to think this may be a transmission issue instead. Is the correct thing to do to repost this in the transmission section or to just have a moderator move to the correct section?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts