Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2005 fozzy sti
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like the motor has died in the window as won't do up or down now 😭

Is it possible to convert to normal operation with out one touch operation as can get normal motor for about 55 quid

At least the window is in the up position

If not will try to clean and overhaul the motor

Cheers neil

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,639 Posts
I haven't confirmed this, but my impression is that the one touch circuitry is in the switch, not the motor. All it does is duplicate what would happen if you kept the switch pressed down.

The wiring diagram for my former 2003 (attached) should be similar to that for your 2005. It is a bit obscure as to how the OneTouch feature works, but the key finding is that there are only 2 wires going to the motor. This strongly implies that all the circuitry is in the switch — Up/Down and Normal/OneTouch, all in the switch. Up/Down is determined by polarity. Normal/One Touch appears to be in the mysterious box inside the switch.

Note that the diagram is US Spec. Left/Right labels are probably interchanged from what you would expect.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 fozzy sti
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the motor is another sensor which looks like a magnetic sensor attached to motor with 4 wires which goes into loom back to the door

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,650 Posts
Ive asked this a few times and the conlusion has been its not possible ( i hope im wrong)
Ive not tried this approach but will look into it.
I also have another dead drivers window motor, i dont know but think its my 5th one.
Im not even annoyed any more it just comes with the territory.
Perhaps @The Hoff could advise

·
Registered
2005 fozzy sti
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hopefully it can be done and gives up hope of normal parts as one touch is nice but not really important

Lockhead

Did you keep any of your motors and did they have the opti sensor on the motor body

·
Registered
2005 fozzy sti
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry lockheed

Going to test motor later, got funny feeling its the switch as very rough, can hear it click when push for down and a noises when pull for up

Will report back when I have tested it

·
Registered
2005 fozzy sti
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Been looking in icp website

And switch part number 83071SA070

Search thro Google and found same part number on jdm Cross sports as well and on some other breakers site in Japan

Can the switches be repaired, noticed it does say Nissan on it?
Is there a Nissan part that fits?

·
Administrator
19,639 Posts
I haven't seen anything in the description here that suggests a problem unique to the switch.

Isolate. Test the motor by applying 12 volts to its two terminals, totally disconnected from the rest of the car. And test the switch by putting a meter across the two wires that feed the motor.

·
Registered
2005 fozzy sti
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Done that as that was my plan

Output from switch wires to motor is fine
Tested motor acroos terminals 0.7 ohms

Tried to turn motor on shaft, solid

Strip down motor full of rust
Cleaned and greased

Now operates
Think I'd be better looking into new motor and brushes for this door

Unless there is an old motor someone is willing to part with to build one out of two

Cheers neil

·
Administrator
19,639 Posts
Good news! Thanks for updating.

·
Registered
2005 fozzy sti
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Drinkware Liquid Fluid Finger Eyewear Hand Gesture Finger Wood Lamp Hand Finger Thumb Nail Nickel Hand Camera accessory Finger Cameras & optics Fluid Wood Gas Tire Revolver Ammunition An update on the window motor situation

Found a subaru window motor with one touch wiring but from a legacy jdm and the motor is wrong side

But hey ho, the motors should be the same
Took the gamble for £30 it's worth a chance

Strip it down and motor is absolutely mint inside not one mark

Check spindle drive and length - same
Check motor length and size - same
Check brush pack - same

Unfortunately the drive gear is 7 tooth not 8 tooth and slightly smallet

Transfer all motor parts to original window housing, everything fits perfectly

Will fit it to car tomorrow

·
Administrator
19,639 Posts
The One Touch feature was part of the motor, not the switch? That's distinctly different from what my diagram appears to say for that era US spec Forester. Strange.

·
Registered
2005 fozzy sti
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The motor I took out had 6 wires

2 main thicker wires for the motor and 4 small wires connected to a magnetic sensor that goes overs carbon ring on the motor shaft which detects movement

Tried removing said ring from old motor to see if it could be transferred but too tight and fear of damaging it as its required for 1 touch operation

The replacement motor was also 6 wire but it was in different orientation

1 - 20 of 26 Posts