Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Forester XT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I'm still waiting for my JDM Forester 05' XT to land, but in the meantime doing research and looking to purchase what I would need to fix up the audio system and double din hutchs.
Here's where it is at currently;

Car Gear shift Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering wheel

So the top hutch has a tray and screen that is currently stored, and the bottom double din space has a deck and a DVD player (from the looks of things).

What I am going to be trying to achieve will looks something similar to the below;

Vehicle Car Automotive design Steering part Steering wheel

Basically, using the top hutch as the double din audio visual deck space and then the bottom double din space as storage and a place to run the USB cable.

Does anyone have advise on this or any specific parts i will need to achieve this?
I was thinking for the deck something simple like this;

Any advise or suggestions on good designs would be great :)

Also, if anyone could shine some light on what all these goodies installed might be that would be awesome;

Vehicle Car Gear shift Motor vehicle Speedometer

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS
53 Posts
I've got that set up in my SG. The gauge pod part number is: H0010SA950ML (As someone inevitably asks, At least here in the US).

There are a number of generic drop in storage pods that fit the bill such as: Metra 98-8999 Dash Kit

I understand that two of the "drawer" OE units will stack if you want closing storage.

It is a double din, so any Double din head unit will fit. I 'did' need to extend the harness, and radio cable some to move the Head unit up there. Only about 8 inches on both. The unit itself kinda pops in and out with a little vertical pressure, and anything that you install will have to fit in the provided brackets that come with.

I ended up throwing a CB radio in there, and 3D printing a din pocket. (PLA + Stands up pretty well for my climate)Most head units come with USB cables that are approved to work with the head unit, You 'can' get by nicely with any of the higher rated USB 3.0 cables, or backing plates from say, amazon. like this one: Amazon.com: URWOOW USB Flush Mount - 1M 3ft 3.5mm & USB 3.0 AUX Extension Mount, Dash Mount, Flush Mount, Panel Mount Cable, for Car, Boat, Motorcycle : Electronics

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Plant Automotive design

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Forester XT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Sid51x
Thanks for the feedback mate! Would the pod currently in mine be okay (aka. are they all the same)?
Also the USB point looks great like that! Would it be possible to do that but at the back of a single din tray? so that my phone could go in there with the USB cable?
Sorry if stupid questions, this will be my first time getting hands dirty on the electrics.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS
53 Posts
Yeah, That gauge pod in the dash appears like the factory part.

As far as the installation of the USB mount goes I don't see why it wouldn't. that particular kit has a threaded body with a plastic nut to match. It would just need a hole of the right size. The only concern I'd have is the clearance on the back as a lot of these USB mounts are a little long, then they have a relatively stiff cable that can be difficult to route.

As far as diving in, I's just suggest taking your time, and having the right tools. Plastic trim tools make short work of the required bits that need removal without breaking/marring anything.

As far as your second question, about what all those aftermarket boxes are, That is a heck of a lot of mods. I can see what looks like a Pioneer Coachwork unit, though have a hard time figuring out just what it is. As it has modules for things like back up cameras, GPS antennas, and dash cams. Kinda seems like it might be some level of external processing board to enable certain functions outside of a receiver/head unit. If I had to guess, a lot of those buttons otherwise feed into it to control functions of that setup the previous owner put in.

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Forester XT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Sid51x
Okay great, I might go ahead and pick up my deck at least ready for when the car lands. I might wait on the USB mount till I can have a look and get my head around the setup.

Yeah there's a lot of boxes there but it does seem to be more audio parts or as you say, perhaps dash cam and data storage. One looks like it takes a floppy disk.
Some of this may get removed during compliance but if not i'll take some photos as I dig my way through it all :)

Thanks for your help again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts