Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
05 Forester X, 05 Outback 3.0 R
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am changing my timing belt on an 05 sohc forester, problem I'm having is it looks like previous belt was put on with camshafts out 90 degrees. I knew something was wrong as soon as I removed the timing belt covers and tried to line up the marks. if i get the mark in the crank, instead of the cams lining up they are pointing at 3'oclock position. The only way I could get cam marks to line up is with the crank key at 12 oclock, then marks line up??? It has been running fine for the last 110k miles. Should I put the belt back on the same position that I took it off or make the change???? I have the belt back on and have turned the motor over by hand with no problems. But I know from all of the videos that it's not correct?? Am I mistaken? Please advise

·
Registered
2012 Forester 4 speed auto
1,031 Posts
@ittech69 I think from what you have said the timing was correct. What do you think is the correct positioning of the crank and cam marks?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@ittech69 I think from what you have said the timing was correct. What do you think is the correct positioning of the crank and cam marks?
Still not sure, wound up putting everything back together and bumped it to see if it would start, it backfired so I stopped there. Like I stated above, not sure where it went off at. I couldn't get the marks to line up before I removed the old belt, if the crank mark was at 12, both of the cam marks were at 3, not the arrows but the marks. the only way I could get the cam marks to line up at 12 was whe the crank mark was at 6,(shaft key was at 12) Guess I will have it towed to the garage in the morning, don't want to ruin the motor. Have turned it over dozens of times (between trying to get marks aligned before removal and after replacement. Haven't noticed any interference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to follow up, had car towed to Subaru this morning, car was indeed 180 out of time. Not sure how previous mechanic I paid to replace belt and head gaskets got it to run like that. Dealership put it back in time and had to re-program the ECU to get car running right. Thanks for the responses!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts