Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster here.
My daughter has a 2005 that had the CEL and flashing cruise control light that come on suddenly. I went with changing the ignition coil, new plugs and wires. Seemed to make a difference. Reset the codes and all good. After 2 days issue with CEL and flashing cruise returned.

Took it to the Sub dealer to see what they say(big mistake). The Code P0420 says it is a issue with the converter. Dealer came up with a staggering $6800 estimate to make it right. (I was fully expecting a salesperson to show up at the service desk at the same time I got the bad news to start his sales pitch.) Work order recommended replace Cat, A/F sensor, O2 Sensor, F/A induction service, cylinder head gasket and timing belt (did that 1.5 years ago) The dealer costs for the repairs were ridiculous. Cat replacement was $2500 bucks. Crazy. Drove the car back home for another opinion.

Appreciate anyone's input on this. The car runs fine as is but at a stop light the RPMs drop to just above stalling. I've got A/F ratio sensor and 02 sensor on order and I'll put those in myself. Thanks for any input.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
37,849 Posts
@buckaroo2005 welcome to the forum from Oregon!

You now have your own thread.

<snipped> cylinder head gasket <snipped>
That's an expensive repair! I would suggest getting another shop to give you another repair estimate. Of course you would not tell the second shop what the previous shop recommended. You want a "fresh" repair estimate.

<snipped> The car runs fine as is but at a stop light the RPMs drop to just above stalling. <snipped>
As to the above, take a look at this thread:
Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts