Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm in Hollister, MO.
I'm fixing up my 2005 forester and need recommendations on several things. First is, I need to replace my struts and want a smooth ride. What would good to go with?
20210507_174651.jpg

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,481 Posts
I have a full set of KYBs that I bought for my former 2003 and never installed. I expect that they are compatible with your 2005. I can check catalog numbers tomorrow and list them in the Parts for Sale forum here. I think one of them is missing its top nut, but that's probably a hardware store item. I can check that too.

I'll let you know when the listing is posted.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
81 Posts
Like Bman I had not heard of a KYB strut assembly. Thanks for that link. Unfortunately there is not a complete assembly for a Subaru, yet, according to your link.

I have used the complete Monroe assembly and it is quite good with longevity and controlled ride. I think that is the only realistic good option other than KYB.

If you asked me which was better I would say there is no way to gauge that from the seat of your pants - why? Because the second set you install will be much better than the worn out previous set!

·
Administrator
19,481 Posts
Mine are 334344 and 334345. I bought them for a 2003 XS Premium. Please confirm fit on your 2005. I haven't yet gotten to the hardware store to get replacement nuts. Will advise.

·
Registered
2005 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for that
Mine are 334344 and 334345. I bought them for a 2003 XS Premium. Please confirm fit on your 2005. I haven't yet gotten to the hardware store to get replacement nuts. Will advise.
Those will fit the rear, do you have front?
Like Bman I had not heard of a KYB strut assembly. Thanks for that link. Unfortunately there is not a complete assembly for a Subaru, yet, according to your link.

I have used the complete Monroe assembly and it is quite good with longevity and controlled ride. I think that is the only realistic good option other than KYB.

If you asked me which was better I would say there is no way to gauge that from the seat of your pants - why? Because the second set you install will be much better than the worn out previous set!
Monroe doesn't sell complete for my 2005 forester

·
Administrator
19,481 Posts
Are you saying that both numbers fit only the rear? They are of distinctly different appearance.

I bought them based on what was then specified for front and for rear. I can't recall which number was for which.

·
Registered
2005 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are you saying that both numbers fit only the rear? They are of distinctly different appearance.

I bought them based on what was then specified for front and for rear. I can't recall which number was for which.
344 is right rear 345 is left rear

1 - 20 of 27 Posts