Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm not sure if this post should go here or in the specific 2.5 turbocharged engine forum but I thought I'd start here.

This morning on the way to work I pulled over into the passing lane to pass a car and when I tried to accelerate (pedal almost to floor) the car started bucking and very very slowly increased speed while bucking. I let off the throttle to get rid of the bucking and had to accelerate very slowly to prevent the bucking. When I initially released the throttle to get rid of the bucking the CEL light started blinking. It blinked for maybe 20 seconds then turned off. I tried flooring it about 4 more times on the way to work and it only bucked one other time.

I haven't had any real problems with the vehicle. My resonator has a piece loose in it so I'm getting another resonator to replace it. I have a slight ticking noise when the motor is running. It gets faster as the rpm's go up. First started when it got cold outside but doesnt seem to go away when the car warms up. Sometimes its loud and sometimes I can't notice it. maybe piston slap? i have no idea.

It has a APS 65mm CAI on it with an AEM dryfilter instead of the K&N filter. before the CAI i had a consistant 21.x MPG. Now I get anywhere from 17 MGP to 22. Usually closer to the 18-19 range. I've gotten 15 MGP once after the swap. Not sure if any of that could be another symptom.

Any suggestions on what to check for? Is there a way for me to find the code (on my own) for the CEL even though it turned off already?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
The code should still be stored even though the CEL turned itself off, and you should be able to pull it with a code reader. We had something very similar happen a few months ago with our 04 XT... turned out to be a bad cam position sensor.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just so this thread isnt left hanging, I had the code read and it was a miss fire in cylinders 2 and 4. Hasn't happened since so I'm not sure what caused it. Plugs will get replaced soon anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts