Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT MT
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I will be tuning next weekend my 05 Fxt AT. How can I hold the selected gear for the entire RPM while flooring it?

Seems like everytime I floor it, the car will automatically downshift, which is not good for tuning.

·
Registered
2004 FXT MT
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like only doable in second gear. I will have to tune in 2nd.

·
Registered
2001 Forester STi 6spd with MapDCCD
4,642 Posts
Tuning Auto's can be tricky. With the newer gen's , ill use the tiptronic system to roll into a desired gear to redline to do single gear pulls, but with the older 4EATs, its not quite that simple.

When it comes to tuning auto's, you want to tune for real world use and driving. What i mean by that is that with your auto, at no point are you ACTUALLY doing single gear pulls. Auto's are essentially flatfoot shifting through all gears when you floor it, and this NEEDS to be logged / tuned for, and the only way to do this is to actually floor it and run it through the gears. A single gear would provide some useful data, but ultimately at the end of the day, the tune has to be put to the test by letting the 4EAT do its thing.

·
Registered
2004 FXT MT
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tuning simply means re-programming the car's computer to account for the newly updated modifications.

·
Registered
2001 Forester STi 6spd with MapDCCD
4,642 Posts
In the world of EFI (electronic fuel injection) , many, if not all processes occurring are now electronically controlled and regulated. When you start throwing on new parts, there are certain parameters withing the ECU (engine computer) that arent exactly "tuned" or as juan put it, Programmed to recognize higher performing parts. With this as the case, a knowledgeable individual can go in there with one of a few programs that access it, measure the new performance specs (datalogging) and re-adjust as necessary so the car runs happy and healthy with larger, better breathing parts.

50 years ago, you relied on smell (lean or rich) , general feel, and things like spark plug reading to diagnose your vehicle if it wasnt running to optimal performance. Nowadays, you have very advanced systems that run the engine as efficiently as possible at all load ranges, with compensations and logic systems that work quickly to adjust for pinging, changing weather, and other issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts