Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Subaru FXT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we all know that the dash engine temp gauge sucks and won’t move until it’s too late and the damage has been done.

I’ve been getting nervous this past week because now that I have an AP I’m watching the engine temps. From my understanding, purely based off my Spec B the engine temp should read 185 for a normal operating temp. The forester the past week has been running at about 197 - 202 mostly sitting around 199. The needle hasn’t moved from 9 o'clock at any point.

I don’t know how accurate the AP's readings are. Should I be concerned?

I'm posting this at work and this weekend I plan to check the coolant levels. Maybe I didn’t burp the coolant tank properly after I swapped the turbo out.

Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
13,919 Posts
Not abnormal at all. What is an AP?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,105 Posts
@adc AP = COBB AccessPORT used to self or protune tune the XT engine... reprogram the ECM.

Agreed, normal coolant temperatures, especially in the summer with the A/C operating. The factory gauge is nothing more than a fancy idiot light. The pointer will always sit... stay in the same spot, until the engine overheats, then it will move up a bit! With an OBD2 monitor, you will see the coolant temperature fluctuates a lot!

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Reactions: Dondolo

·
Registered
2005 Subaru FXT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the input. Over heating makes me very nervous. I still did some investigating this weekend and now I'm even more nervous. I found a bit of grime in top coolant tank. the coolant itself seems clean though.

·
Registered
2005 Subaru FXT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@2.5x_sleeper It was a little dirty but not gunky. I did let the car just sit in my garage for like 3 months without starting it. I don't drive it much. I don't know if that could cause this or not.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,105 Posts
@Dondolo when I got my new to me '07 FSXT in '09... a retirement gift to myself, the first thing I had done to it was transmission & coolant service. I'm running Red Line full synthetic ATF & gear oil. I had a coolant flush. The new coolant has the recommended Subaru coolant condition + Red Line WaterWetter. All this was done at my trusted Subaru dealership shop.

If it was me, I'd clean the cap & overflow/expansion tank, then refill the overflow/expansion tank will fresh coolant. Keep an eye on it to see if it stays clean.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2005 Subaru FXT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@2.5x_sleeper Right, I had all my fluids changed when I first purchased my FXT but I didint get a coolant flush. That is good advice, I appreciate it. I cleaned out the over flow tank and the cap, I will check it again after my road trip this weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts