Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 fxt is currently getting new head-gaskets, and I figured while her heart is out, I might as well fix the exhaust system, my plan is to have them stick a invidia divorced catless DP, turboxs uppipe, and a short ram intake (maybe perrin) beyond that, I might eventually stick a turboxs cat back on as well.
My goal with this car is to squeeze another 150,000 miles out of it. The question is, can I just pay for a pro dyno tune once and call it good? Or do I need to buy a AP anyway?
FWIW the tuning shop is 3 miles away, so I'd drive that far on stock tune with dp and such.

·
Registered
2001 Forester STi 6spd with MapDCCD
4,700 Posts
In order to access and be able to edit / tune the ECU, you will need the Accessport. Those components you are changing out are key things that need to be adjusted for in the tune, so I HIGHLY suggest you drive the car gently and stay out of higher boost or throttle areas until its in the hands of a tuner being calibrated for.

As far as to how much you can "squeeze" from the vehicle, thats all dependent upon how you treat and maintain it. Good ownership practices, paying attention to the fine details and routine maintenance helps make these things last a long time. It also depends upon where you are now. Being that it is an 05 model, im willing to bet there are lots of other things on the car that will come due. Ive taken a 4th gen Legacy over 200k (235 before selling) and once you cross that 200k mark, its all the little and annoying items that have to be dealt with just from age (dry-rotting of rubber lines, major suspension bushings and components, all the aux items in the bay like Power Steering parts, Cooling system hoses and components, AC parts, and so on) .... those become more of a bother in that time, even if the engine / drivetrain is up to the task. I would say while its apart, replace all the little things when you are in there for peace of mind.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's in It's second round of the shop in the 2 weeks I've owned it. In the engine bay, so far I've replaced (or am currently having replaced)
Power steering pump
All vacuum lines
Oil cooler
Entire coolant system (radiator, water pump, all coolant lines)
A/c system
Timing belt and pulleys
Every gasket in the engine (minus splitting the block)
Alternator
02, air fuel, egt, etc... sensors

Other than engine
4eat re-man
Struts
Wheels and tires

I also understand it'll need to be tuned before driven, my question is, if I don't intend to tune it any farther once retuned for exhaust and intake, is a AP required? Mostly, can it be tuned professionally without me owning a access port? I'm new to the tuning game. Apologies I'd it's a dumb question.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,081 Posts
@Dracolyth if you have a COBB protune, you will need to own a COBB AccessPORT. No first hand experience, but I believe a tuner that uses "open source" tuning software can tune your engine without a COBB AP. That might work for your "once & done" tuning?

Look around for local tuners to see what they can do for you. Also note that a tuner will have a list of "must do" maintenance they require before they will dyno tune your Forester.

Here's a link to my tuning write up in my Member Journal: COBB Tuning Surgeline dyno protune - Stage 1+

Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.

Note that your thread(s) could be closed if your "Public Profile" is not completed!
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2001 Forester STi 6spd with MapDCCD
4,700 Posts
Unfortunately No, you'll have to own an accessport prior, or purchase one from the shop. If its a COBB approved shop, they should have everything you need. The accessport marries to your ECU and the tune goes from AP to ECU and is reflashed to it and stored in a permanent manner. That AP now is only meant to work with your car exclusively, unless it is un-married and it removes the tune with it, leaving the stock rom on the ECU.

There is an option to opensource tune the ECU as well, but more and more shops are shying away from that path with Subaru models that have ample and continued support from the COBB accessport. I personally will only opensource tune any 02-14 Subaru ecu if it fits a very small and select criteria, for things such as JDM EJ20 motors that have AVCS in non-avcs equipped US counterparts, Some NA years for troubleshooting, and/or as a temporary means to get a car rolling and moving before the AP comes in the mail for the owner. There's just so much more end-user flexibility and use with an AP in my opinion. Pair that with COBBs constant updates for tuning options, making the life of the tuner ( and owner) much easier is quite a life-saver. I highly recommend one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts