Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
MY05 Forester XS Manual + Low
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have recently received a timing belt and water pump replacement kit for my car ('05 xs 5mt). The timing belt kit looks good (gates) but the water pump I got is proper China, it's called 'king steel' and came with a crumpled box, paper gasket and a poop surface finish on the mating face. I have a couple of questions:

1. What do about the surface finish? Is that normal? Do I run a file over it or use a touch of permatex (and if so which one?)
2. Do I use the paper gasket? Do I use permatex with it? I doubt it's OEM on the car as this is the 2nd timing belt change.

Any input is appreciated.

P.s. the pump does not spin freely, there must be some good lube or preload in it. Is this part just a total pos? Or is that normal?

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
920 Posts
I'd return it and buy some genuine Subaru parts, there are vendors on this board that are Subie dealerships and provide us good service and low prices. :)

·
Registered
2019 Forester - Touring CVT
64 Posts
P.s. the pump does not spin freely, there must be some good lube or preload in it. Is this part just a total pos? Or is that normal?
I agree with Natedog and would go with a OEM water pump. You want one which will last the life of the timing belt.

To answer your question above: Any new water pump which spins freely is a BAD water pump. The pump should be stiff to turn as that is caused by the pump shaft seal and, to a lesser extent, new bearings.

·
Registered
09 forester
253 Posts
Return it and buy an Aisin Kit, you can order on RockAuto, Summit, or Amazon. Double check but I think the 05 DOHC Turbo kit is an AISIN TKF004. Aisin kit comes with an OEM type metal waterpump gasket.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester XS Manual + Low
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies!

So the car is now back together and working. As much as I would like to say that I took your advice about getting a genuine pump, I did attempt to use the one which is shown in the pictures on the car. Didn't end well.

Firstly, I didn't have a new thermostat seal (the old one ended up being RTVd into place), and the seal against the side of the water pump was totally vulcanised. I tried making do with the crap water pump, but it will literally not fit in the car. I threw many swear words at it, but to no avail.

So I called up the Subaru dealership and ordered a suite of parts, including the water pump, metal gasket, seal, and thermostat seal. Picked it up and fitted it to the car. The difference in quality is amazing!

The genuine pump is lighter, has a better surface finish, the impellor is bigger and with more blades. The critical thing is that above one of the screw holes a cut out is required to make the part fit, material which is not removed in the Chinese part. I have attached a photo of the difference (ignore the RTV I used for the paper gasket.) IMG-20200121-144250

So I guess all's well that ends well. Getting the timing belt on was pretty scary in and of itself but a story for another time (or thread).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts