1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Forester X
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang,
First time posting here.
I have a 05 2.5 X with a 2” lift. I want fatter/meatier tires specifically snow tires since I’m in Utah.
my current size is 215/60r17 I’m looking into some 235/45r17 Generals. What I need to know is if going from 215 to 235 is going to rub my struts or wheel wells?
hoping someone here has gone this wide and can let me know. Thanks
I’m attaching a few photos as well.

·
Registered
2003 X Automatic
68 Posts
I'm not sure I would want such a low profile tire for a car I was using off-road in much capacity.

By comparison, your new tire is going to be almost two inches smaller diameter, and an inch wider overall, so it will probably fit without rubbing, but you are going to be off on speed by around 7%. (a reading of 45mph is approximately 42mph).

If you haven't seen it, check out this thread for specifics of tire/wheel fitment:

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Forester X
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay I think I hear what you're saying. really the two things I'm looking for is aesthetics and reliability in the snow since its my daily driver. you know when someone lifts a truck but has tiny tires? thats exactly what I don't want to happen. in terms of speed, its only the base X model so its already not fast :/ at this point fuell economy and how it looks are the focus. I suppose I am looking for some speed gains as well but probably not this winter. thoughts?
also I did see that forum but my issue is I have no clue about the wheels and their offset since I just bought the car a few weeks back.
this is the first car Ive bought and really gave a damn about so unfortunately I'm on a large learning curve in all these things. one thing I kind of would like to do in the future is wide stance it a little since I like the rugged look of it.
thanks for everything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts