Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
04 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 2.5x has 107k miles on it. Up until now it has run 100% perfect. In the past few weeks it's begun to overheat when I clim steep hills. The first time the temp was about 95 outside and I was climbing some steep switchbacks and it it started to over heat. I did have the AC set to max so I just turned it off, opened the windows and turned on the heater..the car cool right down. The next time it happened it was only in the 70s and it was a pretty mild grade for the mountains of AZ. So again I turned the heater to high and opened the windows. The car cooled down.

So this morning I checked the coolant levels. That was fine. Then I checked to two fan fuses they were both fine. Now I'm not sure what to do. Is thee anything else I should check before bringing it to the dealership? Why would it suddenly start to overheat after 107k miles?

·
Registered
03X MT
846 Posts
do a search here "overheating" and you will finds tons of info.

If you are sure you aren't the victim of the dreaded HG leak then I would look at the possibility of a partially blocked radiator.

fan fuses = ok but are the fans coming on? both should come on when AC is activated.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
Start with the simple stuff first.

Verify the fans are working when the AC is on, they should come on any time the AC is on.

Check the coolant level, both in the overflow and radiator.

As mentioned a blocked radiator.

T-stat, replace it along with a cooling system flush.
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/engine-temp-ac-75989/

Have you had the 105K mile maintenance done? If not this would be a good chance to do the t-stat and radiator flush. http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/subaru-maintenance-schedule-us-1060/

·
Registered
04 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow I didn't expect there too be so much info on subaru's oer heating. The coolant was just flushed about 1k ago when I did the big timing belt service. The thermostat was also replaced then. So to burp the radiator I just let the car run with the metal radiator cap off? Or the overflow cap off? How long do I let it run?

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
Wow I didn't expect there too be so much info on subaru's oer heating. The coolant was just flushed about 1k ago when I did the big timing belt service. The thermostat was also replaced then. So to burp the radiator I just let the car run with the metal radiator cap off? Or the overflow cap off? How long do I let it run?
Take the rad cap off. Turn the heat up and the fans up to full. Open the windows if you need air.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
Did you use a Subaru Thermostat? If you went with OEM, these are a little shorter, don't sit so deep into the water jacket and cause intermittent overheating problems.

Do a search and you will see a few threads here and on other Subaru boards about using an aftermarket thermostat.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...-timing-belt-wp-replacement-61858/#post687904

ALSO WELCOME to our little corner of the internet ..... sit down, relax and browse around. Feel free to jump in anywhere.

·
Registered
04 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I myself did not do the service. I had a local mechanic do it. Is replacing the thermostat switch en easy thing to do? Or is that something better left up to a trained mechanic? I'm pretty sure they used an after market part. The mechanic asked if I wanter OEm or after marketing. At least in the world of motorcycles after market parts are cheaper and usually better. So I said go with the aftermarket stuff. He also mentioned many of the parts like the water pump came with a lifetime warranty. being another reason to go with the aftermarket stuff.

·
Registered
03X MT
846 Posts
the design of the OEM t-stat has been has been talked about around here quit a bit. mostly larger diameter and the infamous jiggle pin. Plenty to read.

·
Registered
84 Posts
DO not accept anything other than OEM T-Stat and make sure burp all air out of coolant. Change to new radiator cap if not yet.

I am sure you will be fine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Another +1 for the OEM thermostat.

In my experience you should always use an OEM thermostat for any car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts