Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all -

I have a 2004 XT with Swift (Forester Specific) Lowering springs on the stock struts. Whiteline sway bars with Kartboy end links on front and rear.

My state inspection this year revealed that the rear struts need to be replaced so I am evaluating my options.

I have read the "How to Turn Like and STi for Cheap", among other threads but I still have some questions. Sorry if this gets asked a lot I couldn't find the information I was looking for specifically.

Basically I am wondering what the overall performance impact other suspension options have - if I am going to do the struts I am tempted to upgrade them in the process if I can.

I understand the 2004 STi Springs/Struts fit, what I don't understand is: other than the lower ride height, is there any other performance advantage to using these?

Are there any options better than an OEM replacement that will allow me to re-use the swift springs?

If I did go with the STi replacement, do I need the camber bolts? If so, do I need to take it to an alignment shop afterwards? Basically I have no idea how to use the camber bolts.

Are the group-N strut tops only for the front?

I'm basically trying to assess if I should upgrade my suspension on all 4 corners or just go with OE replacement on the rears only and upgrade other suspension items with the money I would have spent here.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2007 APS DR55, FMIC, UTEC 6MT from Forester STI (JDM)
211 Posts
Hey all -

I have a 2004 XT with Swift (Forester Specific) Lowering springs on the stock struts. Whiteline sway bars with Kartboy end links on front and rear.

My state inspection this year revealed that the rear struts need to be replaced so I am evaluating my options.

I have read the "How to Turn Like and STi for Cheap", among other threads but I still have some questions. Sorry if this gets asked a lot I couldn't find the information I was looking for specifically.

Basically I am wondering what the overall performance impact other suspension options have - if I am going to do the struts I am tempted to upgrade them in the process if I can.

I understand the 2004 STi Springs/Struts fit, what I don't understand is: other than the lower ride height, is there any other performance advantage to using these?

Are there any options better than an OEM replacement that will allow me to re-use the swift springs?

If I did go with the STi replacement, do I need the camber bolts? If so, do I need to take it to an alignment shop afterwards? Basically I have no idea how to use the camber bolts.

Are the group-N strut tops only for the front?

I'm basically trying to assess if I should upgrade my suspension on all 4 corners or just go with OE replacement on the rears only and upgrade other suspension items with the money I would have spent here.

Thanks!
No, group-N strut tops are available for front and rears (for whatever reasons rear are more expensive, even they are more simple).
Disadvantages with 2004 Impreza Springs/Struts I see as their height and piston travel distance.
There are options better than an OEM replacement that will allow you to re-use the swift springs - Forester STI JDM inverted struts, they are great!
I tried these for 2K+ USD - https://www.subaruforester.org/thre...de-by-sti-for-forester-xt.124478/#post1583058 - they are similar from performance side of view.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, group-N strut tops are available for front and rears (for whatever reasons rear are more expensive, even they are more simple).
Disadvantages with 2004 Impreza Springs/Struts I see as their height and piston travel distance.
There are options better than an OEM replacement that will allow you to re-use the swift springs - Forester STI JDM inverted struts, they are great!
I tried these for 2K+ USD - https://www.subaruforester.org/thre...de-by-sti-for-forester-xt.124478/#post1583058 - they are similar from performance side of view.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Trying to decide if I want to go with the STi Strut / Springs (not sure which springs to get, I'd be buying them new) vs. OEM struts with new group-N mounts and my current swift springs. Can't really decide...

As for the strut tops, rallysportdirect says these are not compatible but I think they should be:

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Front Strut Tops (2 ea.) B0310FE000
Rear Strut Tops (2 ea. ) B0310FE013
Pics are there (all Group-N's (bushings for the rear + tops F/R): http://www.forester-club.com.ua/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10911&p=196705#p193308 (I bought them in USA, link is also there)
I had them installed without any problems with Forester-Specific STI struts and with Forester STI JDM inverted struts.
P/N's are the same as you mentioned from RSD.
I love these struts!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I think I have decided to do all 4 corners on OEM spec struts (havent decided between Monroe OESpectrum or KYB) keeping my Forester Swift Springs because I am happy with the ride height. While I have it apart I will put Group-N bushings on all 4 of them.

That will give me a bit of an upgrade, new struts on all 4 corners, and still cost less than the mechanic is quoting me just for the rear ones.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Yeah I think I have decided to do all 4 corners on OEM spec struts (havent decided between Monroe OESpectrum or KYB) keeping my Forester Swift Springs because I am happy with the ride height. While I have it apart I will put Group-N bushings on all 4 of them.

That will give me a bit of an upgrade, new struts on all 4 corners, and still cost less than the mechanic is quoting me just for the rear ones.
Reasonable choice!
KYBs are proven for decades, Monroes - I don't know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts