Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4sp auto
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spun a rod in the original block so went the path of a factory short block. Took my time getting everything over to the new block and now dropping it back in. Drops in fine and everything lined up. Feeling good at this point because even the mounts drop right in. Now the trouble, at this point I’m still able to turn the engine with the crank bolt and torque all the bolts to the converter but I still have a 1/2” gap between the engine and trans. Now I know I’m not supposed to use the bolts to tighten things up but I get a little lazy and try anyway. Now the engine won’t turn at all, not even a little budge. Still have a gap between the engine and trans. I loosened everything back up and took the rest of the night off.

So my question (s): What did I mess up? Should the engine turn by hand once the TC is in and bolted to the flywheel? What to try next to get the gap closed like it should be, and do I need to pull the engine back out?

Sorry it’s all over the place. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Auto
227 Posts
Hopefully you didn't just destroy your input shaft and/or pump...you aren't the first person to have this issue: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/f...ubaru-torque-converter-situation/92399/page1/

The input shaft isn't seated in the pump, which is why you can't get the engine and trans together and why it binds when you tighten it. Take the engine back out, get the torque converter fully seated (my 04 4EAT sits about 1/4" proud of the bellhousing flange), and then put it all together again. You may want to inspect the input shaft by removing it, since it may need to be replaced.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4sp auto
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks @Galaxywide pulled the engine back out again yesterday and found my mistake. Thought I seated it right. Good news is the engine is now seated perfectly and I just need to finish installing all the lines and hoses. Really appreciate the help. Fingers cross I didn’t mess up the pump.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts