Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Auto
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 Forester XT auto, 96,000 miles started missing, stumbled, and stopped going uphill on the grapevine upgrade on the way back to Los Angeles. I was nearly hits by trucks as I slowed to the side. Car restarted and limped home. Shop analysis led to the replacement of the spark plugs. The car once again missed and stumbled but did not stop on the upgrade back to LA from Ventura. I must regularly use the grapevine and need help to solve this problem.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
106 Posts
Is the check engine light on, and if so, what is the code? Does it point to a misfire on a particular cylinder?

Were the spark plug wires also replaced by the shop?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Auto
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2004 XT Missing on upgrades

I took my car to Suby Specialties in Monrovia who has always provided excellent service and they ran all the checks. The Check Engine Light came on during the fist engine stall, but was not on when I restarted the car for the trip to back to LA from the grapevine and was not on yesterday on the uphill grade from Ventura to LA on 101 when the car once again missed and stumbled on the one long up hill run out of Camarillo.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
106 Posts
If the ignition wires are in good condition, and there is no check engine light, then it could be a malfunctioning fuel pump or perhaps a clogged fuel filter.

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
the coil, i think someone had similar problems, it was a dirty coil, not sure if the whole broken coil issue applys to your yr, and the other thing is for the most part it does not throw a code

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Auto
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2004 Forester XT missing and stumbling on upgrades

The turbo is OK. The car still has that athletic feel on flats or slight upgrades. It is only when stressed on long upgrades that the missing and loss of power happens.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2004 Forester XT missing and stumbling on upgrades

Did you ever determine what was wrong? My Forester is doing the same thing.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
113 Posts
Yikes

Well, sorry to hear about that. I live in Ventura and go up and down that hill every freakin' day on my commute. Be interested to hear if you find the source of your problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts