Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 forester xt stage 3 vf48
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello people,
I recently bought all new guessets because mine are old and windy. Well I went to replace my old ones and the screws amd pretty much stripped. Does anybody know any good ways to get them out? I'm trying to keep the mirrors and not buy new ones. If you have any ideas I am all open. I am thinking about getting a speedout screw extractor maybe that will work.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
840 Posts
Try cobalt left hand drill bits. McMaster Carr has them, Snap On as well. Check Ebay for drills and extractors from Drill Hog. Use a center punch to get your drill started.

Start with a small drill bit and work your way up in size.

Cobalt drills will cut right into the damaged fasteners. Try grinding the broken end flat first. If you can.

·
Premium Member
2005 xt 6mt
116 Posts
I have used a dremel tool or similar to cut a line across the face of the philips screw, making it into a wide flat head screw. It depends on how much space you have to work.
good luck

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,621 Posts
Mine started to strip the head but I got them out using a nice clean and new #2 Phillips head on an extension on the end of a socket wrench instead of a screwdriver. You can get pressure on the screw while also applying way more torque in the head of the screw.

·
Registered
2005 Forester Automatic
495 Posts
I had the same event when I did my left gusset. Must be some sort of primordial hulk in the subaru plant tightening those screws....

I tried a new square shanked screwdriver that I could turn with a wrench to no avail.

I remembered my dad's impact screw extractor from the 1970s. Went and bought one.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2905-8-Inch-Manual-7-Piece/dp/B000NPPATS/ref=asc_df_B000NPPATS/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312003160272&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18216095079703254173&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9023256&hvtargid=pla-420785539586&psc=1[/ame]

Have an assistant to hold the door. Load it with the right screw bit and HIT it HARD. The mechanical gizmo turns the screw head counter clockwise precisely as you pound on it. So the screw head does not strip, because you just pounded a 3lb hammer into it.

Worked for me.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X and XT Manual and Auto
941 Posts
I recall the screws you are talking about. I got mine out with ratchet and driver bit which lets you get the torque on them, as long as you have the right large phillips bit. This job was the catalyst for me to go out and buy a monster Phillips head screwdriver afterwards, realizing I needed one for stuff like this. I can't recall if it actually worked the second time I did the job (different forester) or if i just used ratchet and bit again.

Good luck! The suggestion above my post sounds like a good one.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
19 Posts
Did you have any luck? I'm currently stuck with one final screw left and the screw is pretty stripped at this point. I've tried soaking it with WD-40 and PB blaster, but still stuck. I'm looking into screw extractors, but they all seem to have issues with breaking. I've already replaced the guesset itself, its just this one dang screw that's left...

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5X 5MT & 2008 Impreza WRX 5MT & 2009 Impreza 2.5i 5MT
106 Posts
I will be tackling this project soon. Can you post picks of the tools you used? I would like to have them on hand before I start this project. Thanks
I recall the screws you are talking about. I got mine out with ratchet and driver bit which lets you get the torque on them, as long as you have the right large phillips bit. This job was the catalyst for me to go out and buy a monster Phillips head screwdriver afterwards, realizing I needed one for stuff like this. I can't recall if it actually worked the second time I did the job (different forester) or if i just used ratchet and bit again.

Good luck! The suggestion above my post sounds like a good one.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X and XT Manual and Auto
941 Posts
I will be tackling this project soon. Can you post picks of the tools you used? I would like to have them on hand before I start this project. Thanks
on my first forester i was still building up tools so i think i may have used a ratchet with a 1/4" socket and then a large phillips bit. Since then i've gotten something like this which is more dedicated for such things (but same concept) - this was a god send when i swapped my window motors out....main thing is it allows you to get big torque on the screw from the leverage of the ratchet, vs very little leverage with a plain old screw driver. I recall trying a normal screwdriver on the screws in question and it was not happening.

link to tool above
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GearWre...Q5Vh0P3dtsqCsMD_DNhoCKsIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

1 - 9 of 9 Posts