Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT-5MT
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DIY- HVAC Bulb Replacement 2004 Forester

Its happened to all of us.... That little light behind a button, control, or gauge goes out on you.... It doesn't bug you during the day,, but it nags you at night on that drive home.... You fumble in the darkness to find buttons and knobs.... TIME TO FIX IT YOURSELF.....:icon_biggrin:

DARN LIGHT!!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT-5MT
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
continued....

Here's a good bulb change guide I found in one of Peaty's guides...

It doesn't mention anything about the different white bases I encounted with the bulbs behind the HVAC controls....Still helpful though....

Attachments

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
How did you manage to get the copper contacts off the white base? Mine got completely effed and I ended up just soldering the new bulbs to the board as I couldn't get the bases to contact correctly.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT-5MT
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
How did you manage to get the copper contacts off the white base? Mine got completely effed and I ended up just soldering the new bulbs to the board as I couldn't get the bases to contact correctly.
I took it to a workstation that had a magnifying glass and some fine tip tools..
Their is a little bent tab holding the plate in...Bend that tab straight... and a fine tip tool or zacta knife should be able to slide the plate down out of the bottom... REPLACE BULB WITH NEW ONE...

AT FIRST I TRIED TO FREE HAND IT IN MY CAR... I bent the tab but couldn't slide the plate down... I ended up bringing it to my workstation so I could free up both my hands and use a magnifying glass..... A little patience and space helped out....:icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
I took it to a workstation that had a magnifying glass and some fine tip tools..
Their is a little bent tab holding the plate in...Bend that tab straight... and a fine tip tool or zacta knife should be able to slide the plate down out of the bottom... REPLACE BULB WITH NEW ONE...

AT FIRST I TRIED TO FREE HAND IT IN MY CAR... I bent the tab but couldn't slide the plate down... I ended up bringing it to my workstation so I could free up both my hands and use a magnifying glass..... A little patience and space helped out....:icon_biggrin:
Ah, yeah I was trying to get it out with a paper clip and needle nose pliers, not ideal. I ended up screwing up the the copper contacts enough that they wouldn't even fit back in so I gave up lol.

Very good write up! Wish there had been one when I went into it blind!

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
583 Posts
Looks like you could also use these instructions to change the color from green to red or whatever if you wanted to.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT-5MT
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was going to ask if SuB4U would put that here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/contributions-f67.html

for me :)

Already did,, Im waiting for a Mod to approve it over there....

Though,,this one has some grammar fixes that the Scoobymods version didn't...

BIGGER THANKS to you Peaty!!!!..... Your informative guides are what got me started on this DIY.... Now I know the time involved in putting one of these detailed DIY's together.... You probably put in a thousands of hours or more to make and organize all of your Guides..... Now I see your frustration when people say the don't have the time to Register to see your PICS..... I guess its really their loss.... I know how much money I've saved just reading here in a day.... :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Looks like you could also use these instructions to change the color from green to red or whatever if you wanted to.
I put red LED's in mine, although not bright enough they do work decently. However the position indicators and some other things have their own separate green LED's which would also have to be changed.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,097 Posts
Thanks for putting your pics on the site, when I get home I will download the pics and attach them at the bottom just in case something happens to the link (as long as you don't mind)

It's true about doing mod pages, it takes 10X longer to do a proper write up with the editing and such than it does to do the actual mod. If it helps people it's worth the effort though ;)

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT-5MT
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for putting your pics on the site, when I get home I will download the pics and attach them at the bottom just in case something happens to the link (as long as you don't mind)
Don't mind at all.... Thats what its there for.... I just printed out one of yours(the horn upgrade) to bring with me out to the Soob...... I hope to be blasting people off the road in a bit........:Banane36:...

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/horn_upgrade_fiamm_highway-t1996.html?t=1996

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,532 Posts
ok. must remember to post pics of an 07 auto hvac unit. i took it apart and it has LEDs instead of microbulbs. harder for changing lighting color?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
133 Posts
Just to be clear, the proper replacement lamp/bulb is #7219?
Quoting myself... but RadioShack around here didn't have these so I went with the token white LED's they always have in stock. I will try them out and see how it works. If it is not a disaster, there will be pics. If it is a disaster, I will let you know lol.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT-5MT
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just to be clear, the proper replacement lamp/bulb is #7219?
YEP....

Quoting myself... but RadioShack around here didn't have these
I got lucky!! I bought the last pack at my local Radio Shack... It was even mixed in with some other bulbs.... I'm going to have to raid the other RadioShacks in town and stock up on these little guys... :icon_biggrin:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts