Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys the turbo in my 04xt has blown, mechanics are saying just forget about the car and get rid of it but I have a friend with the same engine that is willing to swap and put it in for 2.5k, ive already spent 6k on the car, opinions ?

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,254 Posts
Is the car in good shape, not crashed, rusted out? Do you like driving it. Then the answer is easy. Find a different shop and move on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi! First post here but, since we're talking 04 Forester XT, I just bought one with a blown turbo for my daughter. It has 135K on it. I bought for 3K. Has a bad cam seal leak on the driver side too. It was running when I bought it. Once I got it apart, the heads and cylinders look great! Looks like the only thing done to it was something to do with the intake - probably de-carbonized it. All of the front-end engine hardware was rusted. However, the interior and body are super clean! I found the HP side of the turbo about halfway down the exhaust pipe! :D

I own an 08 Forester X. She Learned to drive that car and she loves it.
She loves the 04 too. I have already spent a grand on engine parts. It'll probably need another $500 before I'm done. However, $2,500 sounds in the ballpark for an engine swap. How many miles on the motor he's selling you? What's been done to it? All the usual maintenance (timing belt, etc) and frequent oil changes are all these things need to run 250K miles!

Like has already been said, do you like the car?

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
767 Posts
I bought a 04 XT with a blown Turbo 3 years ago. I replaced the Turbo with a used TD04 and have since put 20K on it. It runs like a top and I've never had a problem with it. The repair cost me less than $200.

Not a huge expense, and worth the gamble!

(a heck of a lot cheaper than "dumping" it and buying something else. Or replacing the engine)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts