Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2004 A
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I haven't been able to find anything on this, but here's some background, may be unrelated:
1) Turbo was replaced about 2 years ago
2) Lots of rain recently
3) Had an oil change a couple of weekends ago, same place as usual

Today I noticed that the engine sounds a bit different than usual (more hum coming from it) when I hit 70. I didn't think much of it, but it appeared as if the car had a hard time maintaining 70 (noisier than usual) so I looked at RPMs and they were out there 4000+. Dropping speed down to 55 and I'm still at 3500. I know that I should be able to be under 3000 even for 80+ mph. Engine temperature seems normal, not elevated. Do most driving on the highway, that's where I noticed this. This does not sound like a blown turbo, which really makes a lot of noise when it goes. The car was in an accident 2 years ago, but all of the damaged parts were replaced, and there haven't been any issues since.

Any ideas what I should do? Nothing else is wrong with the car. I do have an intermittent neutral safety switch pop up once in a while, but if I start in neutral, that goes away and I learned to live with it.

Edit: I may be a total donkey and had the car in the wrong gear...but I thought I would see that...maybe not - we'll see today on the highway

Last Edit: It appears that the stick 'loosened up' enough to appear as if it is in the right position, while in reality it is in the next gear, thus when its quite dark out, I couldn't tell those apart. This is consistent, it appears, with trying to drive in the wrong gear (i.e. cranking the RPMs up to make up for the difference in gears). When I mean that RPMs are at least 1k higher, it is in comparison to 'rest' speed, i.e. I'm not trying to accelerate. At 70, I usually get a bit over 3k, not over 4k (and at 60 the usual is over 2k, not over 3k).

·
Registered
1999 Forester L
79 Posts
This is a manual or automatic transmission?

If Automatic, it sounds like it might be staying in 3rd gear and not shifting into 4th.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Turbo will have nothing to do with gearing. There is no way you can be below 3k over 80mph in a forester with wheels close to stock size, manual will be above 3.5k and auto will be above 3.2k.

+1 on auto or manual. If manual, your clutch is slipping.

Stan

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
1,975 Posts
+1 ^ Seems like I remember my AT FXT setting at about 3k doing 70 mph.

·
Registered
1998 forester s
24 Posts
i would count your shifts to make sure trans is going through all gears, . if it's making it to high gear then most likely the torque converter clutch is not engaging. kinda sound like it might not be shifting out of third gear, could be low on trans fluid, or maybe a trans gear selector switch going bad, no cel?

·
Registered
99 Forester
205 Posts
I've noticed when it's cold that the Auto seems to wait to lock up the torque converter so the engine revs more. Once it's warmed up it doesn't happen. Seems like a feature to help warm up the engine/tranny fluid. Maybe it's a defect?

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I'd make sure the oil change shop didn't drain the trans fluid. If its an auto the trans is either slipping or not shifting up to 4th, theres no way the revs can be that high in 4th if everything is actually working (even if the TC isn't locking up). If manual the clutch is slipping.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
So then is my 06 a 4.11?? I thought the final drive was changed from 05 to 06
Afaik, the manual has always been 4.44, and only the auto was changed from 4.44 to 4.11 on the XT. Cars101 is showing that 06XT MT was 4.44 and AT was 4.11, 05XT was 4.44 for both, iirc the only thing that changed on the MT was the reverse gear ratio.
I believe it is the reverse for nonturbo models however.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts