Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new here. Could you give me help as to if a EJ20Y or EJ20X Subaru diesel fit in a 2004 non-turbo Subaru Forester? I have a family member who has two early 2000s foresters that I might be able to get ahold of and would like to have a diesel, manual one. They both have flat four gas engines in them. I'm pretty young but I have a friend who is a retired GM mechanic and also two brothers who are mechanics. Also would I have to replace the rear differential and/or build new mounts for a diesel? If neither of the engines will fit what would? And how much wiring would I have to do?
Thanks!

·
Administrator
18,738 Posts
G'day & Welcome @Forestork
The diesel is the "EE20"; the EJ20Y and X are the turbo gas engines.
Have a read of other threads in this section to get an idea of how much work is involved in swapping to a different engine.

·
Registered
2004 Forester
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks!! So will any "EE20" diesel fit in an early 2000s forester or would I have to find one for a specific year?

·
Administrator
18,738 Posts
Yes, it will fit - but - it would be one hell of a project switching a gas car and all the electronics; fuel systems etc to cater for diesel.
You are better off finding a compatible 2.5 NA motor ;)

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
966 Posts
Not to mention the difficulty of finding EE20 parts in the US, as I don't think Subaru ever sold them here.

·
Registered
2004 Forester
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, whats a 2.5 NA motor? Is it a turbo gas? Also, sorry I'm new here, what do you mean by "Have a read of other threads in this section".
Thanks!

What about this one?, Is it a good price?, what do you think?

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
966 Posts
Ok, whats a 2.5 NA motor? Is it a turbo gas?
NA = Normally Aspirated = not a forced induction motor like a turbo.

I'm starting to think you're in way over your head with the idea of exchanging a gas NA motor for a turbo-diesel.

$3,900 for just the engine and trans? You're still likely to need the rear diff. And the entire body wiring harness. And an exhaust system. And at least a fuel pump and sending unit, if not the entire fuel tank, fuel lines, filler neck, etc. And an intercooler and the associated mounts.

Just doing a swap from an NA to a turbo is a $$ losing endeavor. Changing fuel types as well? Even more $$. Easier, quicker, cheaper to just buy a good NA or turbo Forester, unless you have all sorts of extra money and time and a compelling reason to do the swap. (Rare body style, sentimental reason, the Earth has run out of gasoline but somehow still has diesel, etc.)

·
Registered
2004 Forester
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"There are 28 pages of thread listings in this section for "Motor Conversions" :"

Ok thanks!!

NA = Normally Aspirated = not a forced induction motor like a turbo.

I'm starting to think you're in way over your head with the idea of exchanging a gas NA motor for a turbo-diesel.

$3,900 for just the engine and trans? You're still likely to need the rear diff. And the entire body wiring harness. And an exhaust system. And at least a fuel pump and sending unit, if not the entire fuel tank, fuel lines, filler neck, etc. And an intercooler and the associated mounts.

Just doing a swap from an NA to a turbo is a $$ losing endeavor. Changing fuel types as well? Even more $$. Easier, quicker, cheaper to just buy a good NA or turbo Forester, unless you have all sorts of extra money and time and a compelling reason to do the swap. (Rare body style, sentimental reason, the Earth has run out of gasoline but somehow still has diesel, etc.)

Would the fuel pump, sending unit, fuel lines, and a filler neck need to be replaced because with an "EE20" a pump in the fuel tank supplies pressure to the injectors?
Or is there such a thing?

Yep, I was checking around and parts for an "EE20" are pretty hard to find, let alone get them. It still would be awesome to have a Forester with a diesel in it that I built! I still might do it!
One of my brothers put a Toyota diesel in a US pickup, I've done head gaskets on a Subaru 4 cylinder, and another one of my brothers swapped body wiring harnesses between two Outbacks because he wanted heated seats.
It might run in the blood, who knows?

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
966 Posts
Would the fuel pump, sending unit, fuel lines, and a filler neck need to be replaced because with an "EE20" a pump in the fuel tank supplies pressure to the injectors?
Or is there such a thing?
I'm not sure whether there's just a pump in the tank, or another pump to provide the high fuel pressure needed for diesel injection. But the filler neck would have to be different to accommodate the different filler at the gas station. And the fuel lines are likely to be different because diesel.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
81 Posts
This is one of those “if you have to ask, you ain’t got the ability.” Situations. Ya know why you see those incredible engine builds on the internet, but never see the diy anywhere on the internet? Those that can, do.

·
Registered
2020 Forester, 2021 Crosstrek
1,814 Posts
How does one become one of 'those that can'? Everyone starts at the beginning. Nobody comes out of the womb knowing. The OP clearly needs to do a lot of research, but he has to start somewhere. Asking others is how knowledge gets transferred and one becomes one of 'those that can.'

·
Registered
2004 Forester
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not sure whether there's just a pump in the tank, or another pump to provide the high fuel pressure needed for diesel injection. But the filler neck would have to be different to accommodate the different filler at the gas station. And the fuel lines are likely to be different because diesel.

Wouldn't I need to change the fuel lines if I was going from gas to diesel?
I heard that diesel is more lubricating than gas.
Also in Michigan the filler for gas might be the same as for diesel.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
966 Posts
Wouldn't I need to change the fuel lines if I was going from gas to diesel?
I heard that diesel is more lubricating than gas.
Lubrication has nothing to do with fuel supply.
Also in Michigan the filler for gas might be the same as for diesel.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
OK. You're wrong. Federal regs make the nozzles on diesel pumps larger so morons don't accidentally put diesel into their gasoline cars. A truly skilled moron can still accomplish it, but it takes a stellar amount of imbecilic effort to do so. The diesel nozzle won't fit into the filler neck on a gasoline car.

·
Registered
2020 Forester, 2021 Crosstrek
1,814 Posts
🙄

Anyway, OP, perhaps the single best reason to not pursue a Subaru diesel is that they are not known for being reliable. The internet is full of garbage opinions but there's a pretty strong consensus that the Subaru diesel is hot garbage and not one of Subaru's best endeavors.

I'm saying that if it were me, I wouldn't spend the time and effort doing this with a mediocre engine known for problems. I'd be seeking out an engine that's worth the effort.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts