Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am a new member. I have loved my "Little Red Devil" 2004 Forester since the day I got her. She now has 197,000 miles on her. I'm told she needs the second half of her catalytic converter (I just replaced the front half three months ago), bearings, tires, and maybe brakes. The mechanic said it would cost $1,300.00 plus $800 for tires. He said she'd go another 100,000 miles and has no rust. At this point, since I'm diving long distances and I drive my grandchildren around, I have reluctantly decided to buy a new Forester. I want my little old lady to have a good home. I am told that the 2004 body is popular. Is there anyone out there who can tell me how to find a good home for my car? (PS. Her name is Little Red Devil because when we bought her she had 666 miles on her.)
Thank you for your help:)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Smart decision to upgrade. I was thinking keep maintaining it until you mentioned the grandkids. Great reason to get the latest safety features.

As for what to do with it. You could park it in the back, under the old Oak tree and let the grandkids use it as a fort. You would be the favorite grandparent. When the first to need a car asks, he/she can restore it and regret the damage they did growing up.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
1,000 Posts
Do you live somewhere that requires emissions testing? If so, I wouldn't expect you to get much for that car, needing $2 grand in work. My 2010 with 216,000 mi and a finicky transmission was only going to fetch around $700. I had the room and decided to keep it for around town use.

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
973 Posts
At this point, since I'm diving long distances and I drive my grandchildren around, I have reluctantly decided to buy a new Forester. I want my little old lady to have a good home.
Where do you live?

A few states, recently including WA where I live, don't require emissions testing any longer, so don't need to repair cat conv. Here, I'd probably do the other repairs and continue to drive it.

Or keep it till spring unrepaired and take your one way long (I've always wanted to go ... here) road trip, sell it there, and fly or take Amtrak back for a great adventure trip.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts