Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My mechanic just looked at my car, because there is an apparent a grinding noise coming from the engine. He believes a bearing on the water pump is going bad. He recommends doing a full replacement of timing belt/water pump kit.

I'm a beginner at this, so I'm looking for opinions... is this a serious issue? And could it cause major failure if not taken care of right away? (he said it could affect the timing belt which then could cause some major stuff)

I have a 2004 Forester with 220K. Cost of repair is $1150, which is 1/3 the cost of the car purchased 3 years ago. I'm quite mechanically inclined, but haven't done so much on cars.

Any input would be helpful.

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
At 220K it is due for the second belt replacement so it makes sense. It isn't an inexpensive thing to do but 1150 seems a bit spendy.
As far as it being absolutely necessary today, that's hard to say. It should be done because timing belts can break and of course the chance that it breaks gets higher as it ages. So it is preventative maintenance.
When it breaks, your engine is most likely done for.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I agree. I just called a shop that only works on Subaru, they gave me a quote of $650. Quite a drop in price. I asked if they were OEM parts... he said not all of them, but they're made in the same factory as the OEM parts. The shop has been around for a few years, nearly all 5-star reviews.

Although my timing belt was recently replaced at 170,000 in March 2016, so we'll see if that's ok or not...

Thanks Remco.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was told that the water pump was replaced at that time, so I'm a bit reluctant to believe that things have already gone awry in that area. Well, at least I'll have a more experienced mechanic taking a look on Friday.

·
Premium Member
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,632 Posts
I paid around 350 labor for my full timing belt replacement. Around 250 for a nitoma kit that is all Japan parts...650 sounds fair. The belt isn't THAT much money so at that point you might as well go ahead and replace it.

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
I was told that the water pump was replaced at that time, so I'm a bit reluctant to believe that things have already gone awry in that area. Well, at least I'll have a more experienced mechanic taking a look on Friday.
Often pulleys and a tensioner are replaced as well. It is done because it is cheap insurance. The parts aren't cheap but the labor is where the cost really is.

You could get an automotive stethoscope and carefully probe around with it to see where the noise is coming from. ( I say "Carefully" because things are spinning). Those things are pretty cheap (harbor fright, Advance, pepboys) and gives you an idea of whether he actually diagnosed it correctly.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Scooby24 thanks for your info, good to know I'm in the ballpark regarding price. Yes, since he may dig in there, I'm sure he'll go ahead and replace it if necessary.

@Remco that's a good thought as well. Though at this point I'd like someone who knows what they're doing (not me) to poke around!

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
246 Posts
A long screwdriver being careful around spinning stuff put it against the bone kinda in front of your ear works the same as a stethoscope

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A long screwdriver being careful around spinning stuff put it against the bone kinda in front of your ear works the same as a stethoscope
Funny you mention that, the first mechanic I saw did this and let me listen. It was pretty effective.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts