Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XT Auto
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2004 XT. 2600 miles to home, no issues. And then the turbo died. :(

My question is where to get one. I want a stock replacement TD04 turbo - reliability is the goal. I see them on ebay for $160, but I'd want to hear confirmation that they hold up before going that route.
Other options?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,622 Posts
Save your money, your engine is going likely to fail soon unless you take some drastic steps to mitigate the metal in your oil from the turbo failure.

·
Registered
2004 XT Auto
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand the shrapnel risk.
If not ebay, who is a good source of turbos? I'd rather not pay OEM prices, seeing the longterm engine risk.

·
Registered
2004 XT Auto
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I hadn't really explored NASIOC. I didn't realize how active their classified was.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X and XT Manual and Auto
942 Posts
I got a rebuilt OEM TD04 from these guys - in Illinois I think they are based - for around $400 or so. It's the real deal, not a knock off, and mine has been good so far (only been 6 months or so). My car came with one of the cheap ebay turbos which appeared pretty new, but it was already leaking oil into the exhaust so yeah, i wouldn't gamble with those. Have not had any such problems with the rebuilt one.
https://www.ebay.com/usr/turbo_crafts?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

1 - 7 of 7 Posts