Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents
I've been putting a bunch of $ in my 04.
New engine turbo timing belts all hoses etc.
New tires
I think Its, due for a AT fluid change , I don't know if it's ever been done, no records.
Its not pink very slightly brown.
Shifts great.
Should I do it?
How much would be a fair price be at the local dealer?
TIA
Nick

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
4,607 Posts
@Nickfrides If it's brown, then DEFINITELY refresh it with a drain and refill. And it's something you can DIY. I have done it at least twice on my 2001 with 230K. I have never taken it to the dealer for the drain and fill, so I cannot tell you what they would charge.

·
Super Moderator
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
3,555 Posts
I would do a drain & fill, or two, but not a flush. As bman440 says, it is a DIY job especially if you do DIY your own engine oil changes.
Tip: If you plan to refill with the exact same amount that you drained, make sure the fluid you are draining and your new fluid are the same temperature. This is because ATF fluid expands with warmer temperature. For example if you drain out 4 quarts of hot ATF and refill with 4 quarts of new room temperature ATF, you will overfill your transmission.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would do a drain & fill, or two, but not a flush. As bman440 says, it is a DIY job especially if you do DIY your own engine oil changes.
Tip: If you plan to refill with the exact same amount that you drained, make sure the fluid you are draining and your new fluid are the same temperature. This is because ATF fluid expands with warmer temperature. For example if you drain out 4 quarts of hot ATF and refill with 4 quarts of new room temperature ATF, you will overfill your transmission.
Gents
If I drain and fill at home how much of the old fluid comes out? All of it? or only partially?
Is there a drain plug or do I have to drop the pan ? I'd like to replace the filter too.
Do you fill it in the dipstick hole?
Lotta questions
Nick

·
Premium Member
2022 Forester Limited 2018 Forester XT
15,627 Posts
On the level.about 6 to 8 oz short of a gallon. Do 3 drain and fills driving between each drain and fill.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ADC
Thank you- I be a real moron!
I you tubed it and saw that there is a spin on filter looks really easy, AND I was checking the front dif level, I didn't even have the right dipstick! Ha ha but it still is not pristine pink so I will change it this week, looks super easy to do.
Best regards
Nick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts