Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 FXT, I am the second owner of this awesome ride. it is bone stock and a great car as you all know.

Before I ask my question I am a new member here (not new to turbo subies) and I have searched and read many of the relevant threads.

I am considering a power upgrade this summer. The obvious choice is a turbo-back exhaust and a stage 2 tune... however... I would like to know more about swapping over the 2004 STi setup at stock STi tune and power levels.

From my understanding I can swap over
-2004 STi Ecu
-STi TMIC (I read the thread on this)
-VF39
-Catless OEM uppipe
(I can get the above parts for the price of an accesport!)

is that all I would need? Can I get by with the stock exhaust when running the stock STi ecu. Do I need the STi exhaust manifold? anything else?

I imagine that the Stock STi power curve looks better than a stage 2 FXT power curve. Any opinions or thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Theres not really any reason anymore to do the STI ecu. It makes sense to go stage 2 while you're in there anyway, and doing the tune on the FXT ecu will get the same result as having the tuned STI ecu. The only benefit to the STI ecu, is if you want to have basically a stock STI setup without having to do a tune. Not really any point in doing all that work and then not getting the benefit of a relatively cheap downpipe +tune.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,786 Posts
v1 AccessPorts are around $300 used and will allow for a much more flexible setup than an STi ecu.

Stan

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To clarify the answer to my orignal question... If I put an 04 STi ecu, STI TMIC, VF39, and catless uppipe on my Forester, it will run well? There are no other bits required to run the STi ECU? such as MAF, BCS, TGV deletes, etc...?

Next querstion... will a V1 accessport made for a 2004 STi be compatible with my setup so that I can go STi Stage 2 at a later date?

For further discussion and to justify my approach...
I agree that you might as well go full STi stage 2 while swapping the turbo to a VF39, and if your doing this all at once then just get an aaccesport or tune for the forester ecu.

The conventional upgrade for those of us on a tight budget is to go FXT stage 2 witha turboback exhaust and tune and then at a later date swap in the TMIC and VF39.

However, I am unconventional and I think that the stockj STi powerband will be more enjoyable than a FXT stage 2 powerband. From what I gather, the FXT stage 2 powerband just makes the stock powerband worse because it peaks harder but also falls flat harder... the TD04 sucks on a 2.5 no matter what the tune.

So if $700 is my budget for power mods this year, I rather go stock 04 STi setup than FXT stage 2

Thanks for your input everybody!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts