Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

321 - 331 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5 MT
100 Posts
I started this project on Saturday with disassembly. Getting the old rack out is a job and half! Removal of the old power steering pump has created a series of vacuum line breaks. All the rubber on this '04 is fragile.... Also have a leaky valve cover gasket. Will deal with all this and hopefully have it back on the road in a week.

Anyone creating their own shaped vacuum lines? I'm assuming a little heat, shape and hold might get it done.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
How are you getting on with this buddy?

I started this project on Saturday with disassembly. Getting the old rack out is a job and half! Removal of the old power steering pump has created a series of vacuum line breaks. All the rubber on this '04 is fragile.... Also have a leaky valve cover gasket. Will deal with all this and hopefully have it back on the road in a week.

Anyone creating their own shaped vacuum lines? I'm assuming a little heat, shape and hold might get it done.

View attachment 528415

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5 MT
100 Posts
The '07 rack is in. I have been delayed with many broken vacuum and pcv lines. I ordered the remaining pcv hoses this morning. I hope to wrap up the valve cover gasket and half moon replacements on Wednesday evening. Once that is complete, I'll re-attach the power steering lines and check everything out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The '07 rack is in. I have been delayed with many broken vacuum and pcv lines. I ordered the remaining pcv hoses this morning. I hope to wrap up the valve cover gasket and half moon replacements on Wednesday evening. Once that is complete, I'll re-attach the power steering lines and check everything out.
Nice work and thanks for the quick reply.

I have an 05FXT and a rack from an 05Aero, which I understand is 06-07 WRX fitment rack with 15:1 ratio.

Is your 07 rack WRX or STI?
Have you used new bushings, white line ksr202?
Are you using extended bolts, as recommended earlier in this thread?

I’m planning on installing this in a week or so, any pics and tips would be greatly appreciated😎

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5 MT
100 Posts
My 07 rack is STI. I used new bushings but oem. You would need two whiteline kits to go with aftermarket bushings. The drivers side need bushings from KSR206 and passengers side from KSR202. Basically you are discarding the drivers side stock square mount and bushing. You'll need the bracket and the bolts. (2 bolts: 901000181,bracket: 34166FE050)

Replacing the drivers side bushings in the STI rack was #%# job. You have to assemble a little kit similar to what you would get with the KSR206 aftermarket bushings. I used threaded rod and a large socket. Without the proper kit ... just a exercise in frustration ... I know!

See drivers side below with new bracket and bolts.

Passenger side with stock round bracket/bolts and new round bushing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 07 rack is STI. I used new bushings but oem. You would need two whiteline kits to go with aftermarket bushings. The drivers side need bushings from KSR206 and passengers side from KSR202. Basically you are discarding the drivers side stock square mount and bushing. You'll need the bracket and the bolts. (2 bolts: 901000181,bracket: 34166FE050)

-- So discard the Square mount bushing from the new rack, did you replace this bushing with another?

-- Thanks for the part number check!

-- Do you have the OEM bushing numbers used? I'm leaning towards the.

Replacing the drivers side bushings in the STI rack was #%# job. You have to assemble a little kit similar to what you would get with the KSR206 aftermarket bushings. I used threaded rod and a large socket. Without the proper kit ... just a exercise in frustration ... I know!

See drivers side below with new bracket and bolts.

View attachment 528849

Passenger side with stock round bracket/bolts and new round bushing.

View attachment 528848
Nice write up!

-- So discard the Square mount bushing from the new rack, did you replace this bushing with another or are the 2 inserts the effectual replacement?

-- Thanks for the part number check!

-- Do you have the OEM bushing numbers used? I'm leaning towards these.

Good luck with the alignment!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5 MT
100 Posts
To be clear ... see first photo below. You will discard the bushing and bracket that is square inside and outside. The bushing on the right (passenger side) you will keep.

If I understood correctly the Aero had the STI rack and the 9-2x had the WRX rack. 15:1 matches the STI rack.

Passenger side bushing stock oem 05 FXT - confirm with ur dealer or source as the parts diagram seems to show the wrong photo (bottom) for 34115B.
Drivers side bushings (qty 2) oem for the 05 Aero - 34112AG001

·
Registered
26 Posts
Clear as day, Thanks Goatman,

Just ordered these, I have the bracket.
  1. 34112AG001 x2
  2. 901000181 x2
  3. 34115B x1
While I'm under it I'll be installing rear subframe lockdown bolts.

2x M12 1.25mm 8.8 60mm bolts
2x Flange bearing

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5 MT
100 Posts
I had the car running for a short period on Saturday. After replacing the passenger side valve cover gaskets and half moons and letting the car sit for 15 hours,,, the valve cover leaked. Needless to say I was disappointed. I redid the valve cover on Sunday morning and will start it later today. Not sure what happened the first time but used Permatex right stuff the second time. Popsicle sticks are an awesome tool for gasket clean up given the lack of space. The rack seems good for the short period I had power. More updates this week.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5 MT
100 Posts
I finally have the 04FXT back on the road. What an improvement! Steering feel and response is so much better. Would recommend this for anyone thinking about it.

321 - 331 of 331 Posts